Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2
Rename/moving files
cromPostSeptember 2, 2016, 03:47
September 1, 2016, 13:55
Hot topicRe: Rename/moving files

Sorry, only just checked back - wow, quick response: thanks!

Re your questions:
1) Can I assume that your Disc Count metadata is populated? Probably not 😉 but I saw another action you'd written so I might try to amalgamate.
2) What do you want the filenames to look like?
3) Bitrate: I should have been clearer. What I meant was bit depth and bit rate for an album rather than a track. So, for example, if I've bought something from HD Tracks then I'd like the album folder name to be a reference to the fact that this copy of the album is 24bit at 96k (or whatever it is).
4) Interesting point about disks being in different folders. I haven't come across that and it's just what I started doing years ago. Re the album name, yes, totally agree, it shouldn't have disc number prefixed/suffixed.

Wow, thank you for working up the action for me! I will download it and try it out. Thanks also for the commenting, that will be really useful when I come to try to edit it.

If you'd like to send me what you have on the actions documentation then I'll be happy to read through and give you feedback from a newcomer's perspective.

Cheers for awesome support!
Crom

cromPostSeptember 2, 2016, 06:22

I've been looking at the action you wrote me. It's an awesome system and I'm making some sense of it!

I think I overcomplicated the bit rate bit though. the information I want to include is displayed in the bottom-right of the Yate display for each file:

Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Channel Mode: Stereo, 16 bit (I'm only interested in the "16 bit" part here)

I've managed to find how to extract these values (using get property) but is it possible to grab the 16-bit part from somewhere?

2MR2PostSeptember 2, 2016, 08:53
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

The bit depth has to be extracted from the Channel Mode property and not all file types specify it. I've created a variant of the action you can download at:

https://2manyrobots.com/actions/Crom-Move-2.zip

I replaced the two previous usages of bit rate with a call to a sub action to get the channel mode and extract the number of bits. I'm leaving in the word 'bits' or 'bit'. If you'd like to remove the text, search for 'Start Extract bit depth from Channel Mode' in the action. (Command-F). You'll see that three lines are disabled. Enable the lines, and save the action.

The new action is called "Crom-Move-2". Feel free to rename the action in the Action Manager. I tend to prepend user names/handles or I'd never find anything. 🙂

I'll send you a draft of the documentation as soon as I get the first draft done. For now I suggest reading the following topics found on the main help page:

Actions
How Actions Execute
Action Pending Window
Variables
Lists
Escape Sequences

cromPostSeptember 2, 2016, 12:58

That's a great help, thank you! I've just spent a couple of hours tweaking things and trying things out - it's a great system!

I'll read the docs.

One question, in the script you sent, you appear to deal with moving non-album files on a per-track basis rather than as a clean up job at the end of the move (or at the beginning for that matter). It looks like it will trigger that code each time a file is individually moved. Is there any way to just run this once at the end? I tried this very quickly but couldn't get it to work.

2MR2PostSeptember 2, 2016, 15:13
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

The way I did it is somewhat of a dirty trick. Remember the action was written to operate in all execution modes. If theory you could load up multiple albums in the UI and run the action.

In order to handle the above scenario I move the files one at a time as opposed to moving them all at once. This is due to the fact the the sub-action moving the tracks has to make decisions so it is run grouped. Putting the Move Non Audio immediately after the move is a good idea as it is set to use the Retained Path properties and other statements such as Rename change these properties as well. The overhead is minimal as for each folder the non audio files are moved on the first containing track. Subsequent tracks do not find any Non Audio files...yet the last track in a folder will delete the old folders because they will be empty after moving the last track.

To make things even more problematic, the non audio files get moved to two entirely different folder locations depending on whether the Disk sub folders are created. Executing stepwise can manipulate multiple folders but only one folder structure.

Pages: 1 2
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.019 seconds.