Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Replace characters in filenames and folders
jlynessPostDecember 26, 2016, 12:08
January 22, 2014, 14:39
Normal topicReplace characters in filenames and folders

Hello,

I keep my music files on a NAS, mounted as shared drives on my mac. I have mostly used AFP for the connection, but both Synology and Apple seem to want us to move to using SMB shares. A number of characters allowed in AFP are forbidden as names in SMB (and so get replaced with ~).

Is there a way that Yate can construct filenames and folder structures, based on the file tags but replacing such forbidden characters? I see that Yate now already replaces : and /, can I set it to do the same for " ! ? * ..... etc.?

Sorry if I have missed this posted elsewhere.

Thank you!

2MR2PostDecember 26, 2016, 16:09
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Replace characters in filenames and folders

You have to specify a Replacement set when renaming. There is a built in set called Windows which basically kicks out all potential invalid characters.

Go to Preferences-Replacements. Select the Windows set. Right click and make the set your default.

You will then have to edit any rename templates that you use and check the Replacements setting in the template. Whenever you do a rename it will use the default Replacements set ....which you made Windows.

Happy holidays!

jlynessPostDecember 26, 2016, 22:25
January 22, 2014, 14:39

Thank you, I should have figured this out but it makes great sense.

Do the Replacements rules also apply when folders are being created?

Happy holidays to you too!

2MR2PostDecember 26, 2016, 22:38
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

The Replacements are applied to the entire rename template. Filenames and Folders. This also applies to the Move statement for the portion affected by a rename template. It does not however apply to other portions of the Move statement where fields are specified as subfolders. This is an interesting scenario and I'll think about it and see what can be done.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.012 seconds.