Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
originaldate tag for FLAC files
gorilladunkPostFebruary 9, 2017, 03:30
October 8, 2015, 04:43
Normal topicoriginaldate tag for FLAC files

Hi,

I've been very happily using Yate for a few years now for tagging mp3 files, but I've since decided to rebuild my library in FLAC files, and I'm a little confused on some of the tagging fields.

So I use the program 'beets' to import music into my library, and since I've been having this problem with yate, I've been using 'Tag' to edit tags manually. Beets recognizes the field for "original_year" as the year the album was first put out, but for some reason the "original release time" field in Yate, isn't recognized as "original_year" in beets. In Tag changing/adding "originaldate", will be interpreted as the original year by beets.

The main reason this is important to me is because I have a config file for beets that organizes my library directory as (YYYY) Album Name, in which YYYY is the original year the album came out, and "original_year" is the variable that beets can handle, but it seems to be different than the "original release time" that Yate has. Although if analyzing tags in 'Tag', changing "original release time" in yate, will create the field "original year", which is then interpreted by beets as nothing. So I don't think this is so much a problem with Yate as much as it is a problem with the disorganized standards for FLAC tags. So I've gathered that:

beets' original_year = tags original date = yates ???????
and
beets' ?????? = tags original year = yates original release time

I can't think of a better way to explain that.

I can't find a blank field in Yate in which I figure might correspond with beets standard for tags. Is there a way to create a new field in Yate that will create a tag with the field "originaldate", that way I can just make an action to copy the year field to the "originaldate" field? I'd really like to continue using Yate instead of Tag.

Thanks! Sorry if that's confusing, I'm not really sure how to articulate it

2MR2PostFebruary 9, 2017, 07:59
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: originaldate tag for FLAC files

As you said it's a mapping issue. However, Yate let's you change the Flac mappings to what you'd like.

The 'out of the box' mappings for the Original Release Time field are as follows:

- Original Release Time ORIGINAL YEAR
Original Release Time ORIGINALDATE
Original Release Time ORIGINAL_YEAR

Yate will read any of ORIGINAL_YEAR, ORIGINALDATE or ORIGINAL_YEAR and will map the contents to its Original Release Time field. However, Yate will write the field as ORIGINAL YEAR (no underscore).

With no files loaded in Yate, open Preferences and go to the FLAC Mapping section. Scroll down until you see Original Release Time with ORIGINAL_YEAR (i.e.. the one with the underscore). To tell Yate to write as this variant, simply click on the entry and hit the '1' button. You'll see that ORIGINAL_YEAR will then have the leading '-' indicator. Yate will then continue to read all three variants but will write the ORIGINAL_YEAR FLAC comment.

After doing the above, If you want to change the mappings in files already written:

- load the files
- do a File>Save Selected Files>Save Always

That will rewrite the files even though no metadata has changed.

To check/validate how a file was written:

- in Preferences-Audio, enable Verbose log raw data
- in the main window's file list, click on a file and do a Log>Raw Data. The log will show the data in the file when read.

This should fix things the way you want them

2MR2PostFebruary 9, 2017, 08:45
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Oops, there was a missing underscore in the last post. I've corrected it:

- Original Release Time ORIGINAL YEAR
Original Release Time ORIGINALDATE
Original Release Time ORIGINAL_YEAR

gorilladunkPostFebruary 10, 2017, 17:16
October 8, 2015, 04:43

Yes! Thanks so much. I didn't even notice the FLAC mappings section, setting the "1" on ORIGINALDATE solved the problem. I knew there had to be a way Yate could handle this issue. I'm always impressed with what Yate can handle, and how quickly I get support on the forums.

Thanks so much. <3

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.009 seconds.