Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Databases used in YATE
MarkRFPostMay 30, 2017, 18:22
May 27, 2016, 15:50
Normal topicDatabases used in YATE

I'm old (67) and have been using databases since the 1980s.

Having looked through whatever documentation I can find, I don't see where databases are defined and configured and used (although many references are being made to them).

Can you walk me through the process of setting up the default databases (are you using SQL do do the creation of tables and fields?), please.

Where should these databases reside and how do they get populated? Itunes is on my NAS as are Flac, ogg, and other audio files, although in separate folders.

I have hundreds of tapes of live performances that are not public; can their info be stored?

Running Sierra on a Mac.

Thank you,
Mark

2MR2PostMay 30, 2017, 19:17
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Databases used in YATE

Yate databases are CSV or TSV files. Depending on how they are created they can be fully interactive with open files in the main window. There is a help topic on the main help page called 'Databases & CSV/TSV Files'.

Typically databases are created by running a batch process over your entire collection or any subset of it. The action used to create the database can be as simple as one containing a single statement (Create Album Database or Create Track Database). All you have to do is define an Export Set (in Preferences) describing the column definitions.

Anything can be stored in a database. My standard workflow maintains a database of all my albums, another of all my tracks and another of purchases/acquisitions over the last three months.

JohnVPostJune 6, 2018, 13:11
June 6, 2018, 14:57

Okay thanks for this start 2MR2. Now I've got a YATE track DB with, say, Album Artist as the column of interest. I open it in (what? Excel? YATE?) and search for, say, all instances of 'Mozart' which I want to remove. I then remove the Mozarts in the DB, then (what? SYNC? somthing else?) with the files that somehow makes the deletions for me.

Please fill in some gaps, or point me to some example cases. Thanks.

JohnVPostJune 6, 2018, 13:27
June 6, 2018, 14:57

2MR2: I found these very useful paragraphs from you in another post:

To create a Track database you must first design the Export set to be used. You do this in Preferences>Export Sets. As I said the only mandator field is the file path but you can add any other columns that you'd like to see. (Obviously Artist and Genre are needed for what you want). You can drag and drop the items to change the order in the produced database.

Once you have your Export Set you have to write a simple one line action which is a 'Create Track Database'. Other than naming the database to be produced, I'd leave all the other options to their default values. (Other than auto open if you wish). If you'd like to see artwork in the database I suggest adding an 'Artwork to folder.jpg' function to the action. The database handler will display the images contained in the folder.jpg files.

To build your database start the batch processor from Actions>Batch Processor Wizard. Select the action you created and drag over the root folder of your collection. Once started the batch processor will run over your entire collection and create the database.

Once the database has been created you can open it at any time or simply drag it to the file area of the main window. When a database is open and has the focus you can see its help from Help>Help for Current Context.

This stuff should make its way into the Help document, BTW. If you care to expand upon this please do so. Thx again, John

2MR2PostJune 6, 2018, 13:41
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Hi,

There is a help topic on the main help page named 'Databases & CSV/TSV Files'. On that page you'll see a few other links to associated content. However, I agree that there can always be more help. I think you have the most important details. There's also a preference section for Databases. In there you can specify a default track database which can be opened from an album database.

Personally I have Album, Track, Recent Purchases and an Artist database. I use the database every day 🙂

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.029 seconds.