Pages: 1
Artwork not saving to file icons
downbeat8PostOctober 9, 2017, 00:21
Beginner
October 5, 2014, 04:55
Normal topicArtwork not saving to file icons

Hi there -

I STILL love yate and use it a lot!

Recently I've noticed artwork will be displayed in Yate or iTunes - but the files on the finder level don't display the artwork. I swear in the past I would save new artwork in Yate and the file icons would change as well.

My work around is just copy cmd-option-I the files and paste to the icon in upper left of info window. Always trying to be more efficient with time for my obsession.

Any ideas how to get the artwork that displays fine in Yate to automatically display as icon for file on finer?

Thank you 9,999,999

Alan!

2MR2PostOctober 9, 2017, 07:23
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Artwork not saving to file icons

MAcs cache icons. The issue is not with how the artwork is stored in the files but rather on when the Mac flushes its caches. If the artwork shows fine in iTunes, then the artwork is in place and is available to the Mac. Manually setting the icon in an Info window tells the Finder to update as the Info window belongs to the Finder.

There have been a number of terminal commands that have been documented to clear the caches on various versions of the OS. Typically they all require rebooting. None are foolproof.

Relaunching the Finder or .... rebooting .... may clear up the issue.

downbeat8PostOctober 9, 2017, 21:27
Beginner

got it.
would the .DS_Store files have anything to do with it?
I recently moved my library and left out all the .DS_Store files. maybe that's it?
No biggie.
Always appreciate your quick responses.

and thanks for making yate in the first place./

2MR2PostOctober 9, 2017, 21:42
Administrator

To the best of my understanding the .DS_Store files should have nothing to do with the issue. They store the display characteristics of the folder but not individual files. The Finder reads the artwork the same as Yate. In order to speed things up, it caches icons. People have been reporting this issue with the Finder for years. It sorely needs a easy to get at method to flush the cache.

My pleasure 🙂

downbeat8PostOctober 10, 2017, 01:24
Beginner

got it.
the finder preview function displays the artwork perfectly on another mac.
same file - mac01 preview displays the generic music icon. same file copied to mac02 displays the album art just fine.
I've tried trashing the finder preferences. now trying Onyx.
I know it's a mac thing and not Yate issue - just sharing because....
A) Sharing is caring?
B) This is all just an illusion. nothing is real.
C) I'm a lonely man
D) All of the above

ha!

2MR2PostOctober 10, 2017, 06:55
Administrator

Let me know if Onyx does the trick. I've alway attempted the manual route which is a pain as its different on every OS version.

downbeat8PostJanuary 14, 2018, 16:27
Beginner

Is the Audio File Health Check a replacement for the"File Maintenance" action? I still wrestle with artwork being displayed on the finder level. thanks

2MR2PostJanuary 14, 2018, 16:46
Administrator

No AFHC is a stand alone application used to locate faults in files. It would not find anything that would affect the Finder. The File Maintenance statement is used to remove resource forks and extended attributes from files which can cause icon display issues. I have not seen this being a problem on numerous OS releases.

If you are on High Sierra, there has been a bug reported to Apple where they simply stop displaying icons on audio files in the Finder. This has been acknowledged. I'm not sure if it is fixed in the latest release as the problem appears and disappeared. At one point I was re-installing to prove the issue. Prior to High Sierra, removing the icon caches typically fixed the issue. Unfortunately on High Sierra, it seems not to work.

If you are not on High Sierra, restarting the Finder; rebooting or using an application such as Onyx may fix the issue. BTW: I'm on 10.13.2 and have not personally seen the problem since 10.13.0.

jfinneganvaPostApril 17, 2020, 11:57
April 17, 2020, 15:39

I'm a fairly new user, but I'm absolutely overwhelmed with Yate's capabilities. I'm converting years worth of vinyl (my own, my parents', my neighbors', my Goodwill store's, etc.), cassettes, and CD's for storage on my NAS. Yate has never let me down!

I'm saving some files as mp3's, and others as flac's. Album art is always displayed in the music player (Clementine). However, I've noticed that the file icons for the mp3's are changed to match the album art, but not the flac's. I eventually learned to command-option-I to change the file icon of multiple flac's at once, so it's just another step in my process. I was about to ask for a program enhancement so that Yate could fix file icons for flac files as well, but I came across this note in the forums:

Quote from 2MR2 on December 10, 2013, 22:50
Yate does not set icons on audio files. The Finder extracts the icon from the files.

So I realize it's out of your hands. Case closed, until Apple decides to recognize flac files as full citizens.

Thanks again!

Joe

2MR2PostApril 17, 2020, 12:09
Administrator

There are so many artwork/icon related bugs in Mac OS that I can't ever count them. As of 10.15 they no longer update artwork in the Music or TV applications when a file is refreshed. We're now in a beta for 10.15.5 and it's still not fixed. More than likely it never will be. Even worse there are serious reported OS bugs that have been around before 10.15.3 and they're still not fixed.

It's my personal hope that Apple takes the time to fix what they have rather than that they announce a new version this year at their conference. However, I'm willing to bet that is not how it will go down.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.023 seconds.