Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Action to check each set of albums for year date inconsistency
motagalyPostAugust 26, 2018, 13:20
August 24, 2018, 20:22
Normal topicAction to check each set of albums for year date inconsistency

Hi, It is me again 🙂

I have Zero programming skills, yet, I try to put the logic, but I lack the skill to do it, Is there is a way to do the following:

1) Run an action on all files loaded (10k files)
2) elect all files in an album
3) Check field Year in all files within that album

A) If all [Year] is empty among all files within the same album, then flag all files within that album for future filtering with Flag C
Move to the next album

B) If all [Year] is the same among all files within the same album, then flag all files within that album for future filtering with Flag A
Move to the next album

C) If all [Year] is not the same among all files within the same album, then flag all files within that album for future filtering with Flag B
Move to the next album

Loop till all files are flagged

End
------

Then I want to go to filtering and see those three groups separately,

Is there is a way, or a similar action concept as for me to start playing with.

Many thanks for your help,

2MR2PostAugust 26, 2018, 15:44
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Action to check each set of albums for year date inconsistency

It's possible and I've written an action to implement what you requested. However, loading 10k files every time you want to do some editing will get tedious and may in fact cause your Mac to bog down quite a bit. I've also provided an alternative action which will let you fix your albums at your leisure.

First download the file at: https://2manyrobots.com/actions/YearConsistency.zip

Unzip the file. From the Yate menu do an Import Preferences, selecting the Year Consistency.plist file.

A Custom Conflict Resolution panel will be displayed as I'm using a custom field named Flag. In order to confirm that you're okay with importing the Custom Field, hit the Choose Import Values button. You now have a custom field named Flag which is used by both options. The options set Flag to A, B or C. You can filter on Flag testing for any value you'd like. After the import you will have a new folder in the Action Manager named Year Consistency. In that folder there will be two actions:

- Flag Year Consistency
- Create Year Consistency Album Database

The first action is the one you asked for. It will process all loaded files and set Flag appropriately. The action does not automatically save the files. You can either save them manually or open the action and enable the Save All Files if Modified statement which is disabled.

If you want to see the Flag field as a column, do the following:

- when no files are loaded ...
- open Preferences and go to the General Panel
- Click on Custom Fields
- select the Flag field
- choose a column to associate it with
- hit Save

The field will appear in the list of columns as: Custom Column # (Flag)

Okay, as I said the above will do what you asked for. However, I doubt that you're going to correct all tracks in one sitting. Why not run the action through the Batch Processor producing a database which contains a list of all unique albums per folder and displays the associated Flag value? You can then click in any row in the database and select Open which will load the files in the containing folder. It seems to me that it's far easier than loading 10k files all the time. To run the Batch Processor do the following:

- From the Actions menu, select Batch Processor Wizard
- from the drop down control, select the Create Year Consistency Album Database action in the Year Consistency folder
- hit Next
- Drag over the root folder of your collection. (All sub-folders will be processed)
- Hit Next
- Select Auto-Save Files if you want to save the Flag values to the files. Note that this is not required for this method, but you might want to mix and match
- Select Verbose Log
- Hit Start

When done, a file named ~/Documents/Yate/Year Consistency Database.csv and a file with the same name and a .plist extension will have been created. The database will even open automatically when the batch process finishes. You can open that database at any time by simply dragging the .csv file into the main window's file area. Selecting any row and then choosing Open from the database's context menu will open the folder in the main window

Have fun!

motagalyPostAugust 26, 2018, 17:23

I am speechless by the support given here, everything worked as I explained.

The only issues I found are the following:

Direct Action Method: the action assumes that albums are unique without looking to the artist or grouping. For example, if I have celine dion album named as (greatest Hits) and another album with the same name but for another artist, it will treat them as one, it will only result in much more false positive Flag C

The batch processing method: is assumes that they are all within the same folder, so if I have 2 different folders, where tracks of 2001 are in forder1 and tracks of 2002 are in folder2, it will not fall them as C, instead each folder will be flagged as A, if the same folder contents for both folders are loaded into Yate, and I used the previous direct action, it will be flagged as C.

Moreover, I found no option for opening the files from the Database.

Even if the above is not solved (I understand and appreciate the efforts put into this, truly appreciated) the first method works as I wanted, and I will be able to deal with the false positive flag Cs

This is the best 20$ I have ever invested, hands down!

Thanks again,

motagalyPostAugust 26, 2018, 17:44

First, I found that drawing the database line into Yate will open the files.

Second: Found a walk around 🙂

Merged all my files for each Artist under one folder, running the batch processing should work correctly, then run the batch action, flag files, drag the ones of interest to Yate for further processing, then later when I finish all the editing, Move all files to a certain folder structure (I did it already with Yate) to get back my old folder structure before the merge.

Solved 🙂

I will report if any thing doesn't work as per this walk around.

Many thanks again.

2MR2PostAugust 26, 2018, 18:08
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Good stuff Your 2nd post came in as I was writing this answer.

I'm pretty literal. I changed the direct action method to include the Album Artist field when looking for uniqueness. Artist fields tend to vary in the same album.

The new action can be downloaded at:

https://2manyrobots.com/actions/YearConsistencyTake2.zip

Unzip, import, etc. The action is called Flag Year Consistency Take 2.

As far as the Batch Processor goes you are correct. It only looks at a single folder at any one time. If you right click on a row in the produced database there should be an Open menu item. Alternately you can double click on a cell containing a folder path. I didn't change the batched action. It still calls the old action. I didn't figure that you had more than one album in a folder.

motagalyPostAugust 26, 2018, 23:01

Thanks so much for the updated version!

Again, I can't thank you enough for saving me days of organising my library!

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.022 seconds.