Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Windows recognizes ID3 Tag correctly but not filename
TifferPostApril 9, 2020, 14:50
September 19, 2019, 14:57
Normal topicWindows recognizes ID3 Tag correctly but not filename

Hi guys,

I know the answer to this is probably quite simple and I've got into some of the advanced features in renaming my files, with different templates for compilations and single-artist albums.

I store the majority of my music files on a Windows PC from which I have no problems importing the album folders into Yate. I make all the corrections I need, save them and finally rename the files. They are saved into the original Windows folder and backed up to a Synology NAS.

When played in an MP3 Player in Mac or Windows the correct titles display. However, the filenames only show the correct format when viewed via the Mac Finder. In Windows Explorer and the NAS File explorer, the filenames show invalid characters in the names (Windows shows a dot and the NAS shows an error image). The characters at fault appear to be the " and ? symbols.

As pictures are worth a thousand words I have added screenshots that display the issue. How can I get Yate to save the filenames in a format that is recognised by all 3 devices?

Mac Finder:
Yate 01 Mac Image
Yate 04 Mac Image

Windows Explorer:
Yate 01 Image
Yate 04 Image

NAS Explorer:
Yate 01 Nas Image
Yate 04 Nas Image

I hoping the links will show the images.

Fingers crossed someone can help.

Best wishes
Chris.

2MR2PostApril 9, 2020, 15:13
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Windows recognizes ID3 Tag correctly but not filename

Unfortunately, the forum (which limps along), only seems to display at most one image correctly. In this case I don't need the images 🙂

When you rename files the template in (Preferences-Rename) has a checkbox labelled Replacements. When enabled, the appropriate replacement set will be applied.

In Preferences-Replacements you can set which replacement set is to be used when renaming. There are two replacement sets pre-installed: Default and Windows. Default has a check box next to it and is the default replacement set for the Case statement and for renaming. The set is empty as the Mac invalid characters of ':' and '/' are always replaced. (Invalid character substitution (for those two characters) is configured in Preferences-General)

There is a built in replacement set named Windows. Select the Windows item and do a right click and select Set as Rename Replacements. Windows will now have a 'R' indicator and Defaults will have a 'C' indicator. Windows will be used when renaming and Defaults will still be used by the Case statement. See the image.

If this is done, whenever you rename and the Replacements checkbox is enabled in the template, all Windows invalid characters will be replaced with '-'. The '-' is simply what is specified in the Windows replacement set.

As ':' and '/' are always replaced (for Macs) this should handle all your devices. While it's possible, I've never seen a NAS drive which doesn't have a Unix or Windows set of invalid characters.

Remember, you only have to configure the replacement sets once. However, you must have Replacements set in your rename templates in order that the set is applied.

TifferPostApril 23, 2020, 13:37
September 19, 2019, 14:57

Thanks for the explanations. I think I've cracked it now as the 7" text is replaced by 7 Inch. Also just found out if I replace the " in Artist names with ' it appears correctly in Windows and my NAS.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

2MR2PostApril 23, 2020, 13:41
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

That's why " is in the Windows replacement set 🙂

There are lot's of variants of the 'double quote'. Yate's Re-encode statement (also in the Multi Field Editor) has a Fold Characters function to fold Unicode equivalents.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.017 seconds.