Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
User Action to load next folder?
SineonlinePostApril 25, 2020, 18:15
April 21, 2020, 14:44
Normal topicUser Action to load next folder?

Hi everyone,

I can't seem to find an answer to something that should be reasonably easy to do...

I'm in the File Browser Panel and I see my library as folders.
I right click on a folder and select Load > the files appear in the File List Panel.
... < steps I take to update tags and rename files and the folder that work fine > ...

I want to shift focus back to the File Browser, use the arrow buttons on my keyboard to select another folder to load.

I then want to Load that folder with a keyboard shortcut... or even have Yate copy the name of the next folder in the directory to a variable, load the files in the current folder < I do my thing, rename files and folder (noting this folder renaming may impact alphanumerical position in the directory) > Yate then recalls the name of the next folder from the variable, selects it and loads files.

________

I've tried using Automator to open a folder from Finder in Yate, it didn't work.

I've even tried automating a Drag'n'drop from Finder into the File List Panel, but Automator seems to record the name of the folder rather than provide a flexible 'for selected item do X' function.

I'm stumped. Going between the keyboard and the trackpad is an undesirable workflow. I've been using Yate for just a few days and it's already sped up my workflow. For the last ~12 years or more I've been using Tag&Rename. Even using it in Crossover since moving to Mac. But for a complete library overhaul, I need to automate as much as possible!

If anyone else is doing similar, how have you done it?

Thanks!
Rob

2MR2PostApril 25, 2020, 18:32
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: User Action to load next folder?

There is currently no way to use a keyboard shortcut to switch the focus to the File Browser. I'll add it in the next patch or release. It'll be on the Navigate menu and you can use Preferences-Shortcuts to assign it a keyboard shortcut.

2MR2PostApril 25, 2020, 19:13
Administrator

Sorry I missed this:

I then want to Load that folder with a keyboard shortcut... or even have Yate copy the name of the next folder in the directory to a variable, load the files in the current folder < I do my thing, rename files and folder (noting this folder renaming may impact alphanumerical position in the directory) > Yate then recalls the name of the next folder from the variable, selects it and loads files.

You can simply drag a folder from the File Browser into the main window and it will load.

The File Browser is a poor man's Finder. It is totally driven by events from the file system. When you rename a file Yate gets an event that the folder's contents have changed. This causes a reload of the folder contents. The concept of a 'load' from the File Browser is based on your usage of it. Dragging from the File Browser into the main window's file list area works but the File Browser does not know that Yate is the target. You can drag a folder from the File Browser to the desktop or any other folder and you'll get a copy of the contents.

I've already done the 'give the focus to the File Browser'.

SineonlinePostApril 26, 2020, 01:57

Thanks for responding so quickly! I look forward to trying the update.

Drag and drop may be simple, but it's not ergonomic when having to manually work my way through 1,700 folders. If the standard Cmd+O opens the 'Open' window, same as any other app, could Cmd+L drive a Load?

Or perhaps a way of integrating into the OS X shell, so that from an open Finder window we can use either a keyboard shortcut or trackpad gesture (even one that drives a service via Automator) to open selected File(s)/Folders in Yate?

SineonlinePostApril 26, 2020, 03:02

I'm also looking at other alternatives for driving this Load operation from the keyboard.

OS X Accessibility options have Mouse Keys, which is a start, but not ideal.

There's BetterTouchTool from >> https://folivora.ai << which I can try.

Lastly, I use Bome MIDI Translator Pro for audio work, which can translate mouse and keyboard actions into MIDI and vice versa... Which got me thinking, if I can get these shortcuts into Bome, I can control Yate with my Nektar Pacer footpedals. Good-bye RSI shoulder pain!!! 😀

2MR2PostApril 26, 2020, 11:22
Administrator

It seems to me that things are being done somewhat skewed here. We're talking about automation and yet you're concerned about the automating of the loading of folders from the File Browser as opposed to automating the tagging.

... < steps I take to update tags and rename files and the folder that work fine > ...

That's the piece that should be automated and is where Yate excels. If you can write an action to do your processing you can run your entire collection through the Batch Processor and do it all in one pass.

If you really want to use your current workflow, I've written two actions which more than likely will do what you wish.

Download: https://2manyrobots.com/actions/LoadFromFolderList.zip

Unzip the file and drag LoadFromFolderList.plist to the main window's file list area or import it via Yate>Import Preferences. The Action Manager will show a new folder with two contained actions as follows:

Folder: Load From Folder List
Build Load List
Load from List

Run Build Folder List to build a list of all subfolders found in a selected folder. Each time you want to load a new folder run the Load from List action. It will ignore subfolders which do not directly contain audio files. It will also warn you if you have unsaved changes to the currently loaded files. The action works with the initial subfolder list so it is not affected by renaming. This list is updated so that any one folder is only loaded once.

Yate requires loaded files in order to run an action. So in any session the first time you run Load from List you will have to manually load something. Once that's done you can successively load folders. BTW the next release of Yate (v5.2) has a means of bypassing the need to have files loaded to run an action.

You can assign a keyboard shortcut to any action and actions can also be associated with toolbar icons.

Hopefully this helps out your shoulder pain 🙂

SineonlinePostApril 27, 2020, 15:05

Superb! Thank you!!!

Since my last post, I've been trying (without success) to automate drag and drop from Finder using Automator and the BetterTouchTool (BTT) I linked above. Neither have worked. This seems to work a charm, though the folders that load appear to be randomised... so I created a subfolder specifically for processing with Build Folder List and Load from List.

The functions you've created for me, combined with additional macros from BetterTouchTool (like 'tab' key 6 times around the Discogs search wizard results form to select the first result... from here I can use up/down arrow keys)... have made my workflow take about 30-60 seconds per release. This means I can potentially process my whole digital collection in about 30 hours!!! HOURS not MONTHS!!!!

With a little more learning, I may never open Crossover+Tag&Rename again 😀

Thank you so much!!!

2MR2PostApril 27, 2020, 15:56
Administrator

I'm glad you like the actions. When reading the contents of a folder from the OS the list is not sorted as the order follows the order the contents exist on the drive. Take a look at the attached image. If you insert a single Sort List statement after line 8 in Build load List action, the folders will be enumerated in the same order as they are displayed in the Finder.

2MR2PostApril 27, 2020, 15:57
Administrator

If you drag the image to your desktop you will be able to see it in its unscaled size. 🙂

SineonlinePostApril 28, 2020, 04:33

That's working a charm. Thank you!

You've seriously changed my life with Yate and these additional scripts! I used to intend to retag 10 releases a day, but it was such a ball-ache I'd do it once in a blue moon. I kinda lost the impetus to enjoy listening to music, let alone DJ again (my Vestax decks died... as did the company 🙁 )

Now I'm tagging 10 releases in 6 minutes! Once the whole library is cross-referenced with Discogs, I'll batch process to make a few fields more meaningful to me. Probably in Excel, as that's where my skills really are (I wish I had time to learn to code!)

You should totally incorporate these scripts into the product. Ditching the mouse/trackpad makes processing so much quicker! 😀

Thanks again!
Rob

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.024 seconds.