Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
A few questions about Audio Health Check and Yate
ngreenan99PostApril 30, 2020, 11:06
April 30, 2020, 14:24
Normal topicA few questions about Audio Health Check and Yate

I've been looking for a replacement for mp3tag as it can not run on Catalina and someone recommended Yate. But what I noticed first on your web-site was "Audio File Health Check" 😉

I ran it on my Music library (of 34,531 tracks) and got around 200 errors.

Most were like these: -

2018-11-07T13:43:11 /Volumes/Content/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Bernstein, Leonard/Berlioz_ Requiem, Op. 5/02 Dies iræ. Prose. Moderato.m4a
000023679783 Container: '1{0x87}.¼' overflows file size (truncated)

2018-11-07T13:43:11 /Volumes/Content/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Bernstein, Leonard/Berlioz_ Requiem, Op. 5/04 Quid sum miser. Andante un poco lento.m4a
000013872472 Container: '"HÚÊ' overflows file size (truncated)

and a few like this: -

2018-11-11T21:33:33 /Volumes/Content/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Pappano, Antonio/Verdi_ Messa da Requiem/18 Libera me. Libera Me, Domine.m4a
18446744073709551608 Container: 'root' Atom overflows container

These mostly are from ripped CDs (via DBpoweramp) but a few were from downloads.
When I checked the originals of the downloads I did not get any errors, so I just deleted the files in Music and reloaded.
I re-ripped the CDs and reloaded them. Then rechecked with Audio File Health Check and errors were gone. This suggests to me that there was (is?) a strange bug in Music that corrupts audio files when you enter the tags in Music.

1) Do you have any idea what happened here?

2) The only errors left are like this: -

2020-04-28T12:55:15 /Volumes/Content/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Coldplay/LeftRightLeftRightLeft/01 Glass Of Water.mp3
000006834245 Container: ID3 v1.0 tag present

Is this something that should be fixed? Can Yate fix this?

3) I had a few errors like this: -

2018-09-20T08:14:06 /Volumes/Content/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Stott, Kathryn_Poltéra, Christian/Barber_ Sonata for Cello and Piano, Op. 6/01 Allegro ma non troppo.m4a
000000025766 Tag: '©ART' (Artist) found 2 times

I could not see how Yate indicates that that this is a problem? Was I missing something?

4) Final question - have you considered offering your apps in the MacOS App Store?

Thanks!

Nicholas

PS Found your blog comments about missing art work and albums be split up in the Music app. I have seen both of these. I assumed the missing artwork was down to me. The albums being split up I've seen a number of times of the years. I just changed the Album name and then changed it back. I might run your Action to fix my library/

2MR2PostMay 1, 2020, 11:06
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: A few questions about Audio Health Check and Yate

1) It's doubtful that Music damaged the files. It has tons of bugs but I have not heard (yet) about damaged audio files. From what I can see in the AFHC errors you posted, something was definitely messed up in the files. They're not Fatal Errors, so Yate would simply have tossed the bad atoms when saving the files. I can only think of the ripper but again DB Power Amp is pretty rock solid and I can't see them messing up files. I'm not sure what happened here. It seems as if the second pass you made corrected the issue.

2) This is benign. The file contains an ancient ID3v1 tag area. Unless you change Yate Yate's default settings, all ID3v1 tag areas are tossed when you save the files.

3) Yate handles this silently. The issue will be corrected when saving files. The ripper should not be placing more than one low level atom of any given type in m4a files. Technically it is an error. Music will only read one.

4) Not really. One of our free applications (Folder Album Artwork) was originally in the Mac App Store. Our ability to be responsive to release new features and to offer timely patches was terrible. Also applications in the store have to be sandboxed and they're not too big on scripting. I'm sure we'd have a lot more visibility and sales if we were in the Mac App Store, however Yate is really not all about making money.

PS) I use them all the time. I've just found that the 10.15.3 beta does not fix even one of the pile of issues I've reported.

ngreenan99PostMay 1, 2020, 15:51

Thanks for sorting out the duplicate posts.

1) A few of these files were downloads from Qobuz and I checked the original download and the files did not have errors. So I can't think what could you done this other then iTunes/Music.

2) I couldn't get rid of the tags. I copied the files from Music, loaded them in Yate changed the name of the Album and saved the files. Running the Audio File Health Check on these saved files still showed the error. Am I missing something (I don't think I changed any default settings).

Thanks!

2MR2PostMay 1, 2020, 15:54
Administrator

Can you email or send a link to one of the files (with errors) in a zip. We'll have a look.

2MR2PostMay 1, 2020, 15:56
Administrator

to support@2manyrobots.com

2MR2PostMay 1, 2020, 16:41
Administrator

These are not really errors. They're more of a notification. ID3V1 tags are valid but are not typically used these days.

The Repair action for AFHC only writes files that have been modified. As the Repair action is not modifying anything in these files they are not being written. If you write the files the ID3V1 construct will be removed.

You can force the writing of a files via File>Save Selected Files>Save Always.

On the next release of Yate I'll see if I can modify the Repair action to test if a user has requested ID3V1 files be written and if not to force the removal for these errors.

2MR2PostMay 2, 2020, 13:50
Administrator

Everything I said above is wrong. The AFHC Repair action always writes files.

The last version of AFHC introduced a bug where ID3V1 errors were being issued erroneously.

I've issued a patch for AFHC. If you do a Check for Updates you will get the patched release.

ngreenan99PostMay 2, 2020, 16:31

Thanks! Rechecked Music library with AFHC and have zero errors.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.02 seconds.