Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2
Discogs Workflow
coldjimPostJune 5, 2020, 14:40
June 5, 2020, 17:00
Normal topicDiscogs Workflow

Hey,

I am new to the app. This maybe a really simple workflow, but I just can't work it out (there seems like you can do so much with this!).

I have been doing everything manually for a while, but i want to automate it.
I want to:
1. search my tracks on discogs (its mainly dance music)
2. copy catalogID to Comments
3. copy Label to Grouping (i know this will go to Work, I will have to manully copy this in Itunes)
4. Copy mood to genre (since most just says Electronic, rather than House etc)
5. Copy Artist to composer (if there are no other producers credited to the track)

Then once it has done this, then add it to Itunes/Apple Music as its now called in Catalina.

How would I do all this?
I would like it to grab the Artwork from Discogs too.

Cheers,
Jake

2MR2PostJune 5, 2020, 15:11
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Discogs Workflow

Everything sounds easy except for #1. If you already have the DIscogs IDs stored it's trivial.

#1. If your folder structure contains a single album per folder you could use the Access Discogs statement with the Master Matching option to attempt to do a non visual search for the album. If found and a correct match is made, again the rest becomes trivial. Alternately you could fingerprint the files and do a lookup on MusicBrainz and see if they have a Discogs reference. Acoustic fingerprints are not perfect and MusicBrainz my not even have your dance music in their library. ..... or you could search DIscogs manually and then automatically run an action to do the rest when you import.

#2. trivial

#3. Not necessary to copy anything. You can configure Yate to handle Grouping in the same manner as iTunes/Music in which case Grouping can be directly set without touching the Work Name.

#4. Trivial

#5. Trivial

#5.1 Add to Music. Easy.

#6. If #1 is resolved, it's easy.

Let us know how you want to proceed with #1 and we can help you out with an action. Also let us know if you want to configure the files to correctly use 'Apple' Grouping so that nothing has to be moved.

coldjimPostJune 6, 2020, 09:54

Hey,
thanks for the quick response.

For 1, I don't mind Yate searching the discogs database and then I manually choose the correct release. I just don't want to have to search discogs manually and copy all this data like I have done in the past. Thats how I stumbled across this program.
I have very new to this, and the amount of options within Yate is overwhelming so i don't know what is possible or not at the moment.

Yes i would like to use the correct grouping for apple music/Itunes. I tried to do this with a few tracks, but whenever I use the 'grouping' section within Yate, it appears in the 'Work' category of Itunes, so I didn't think this was possible?

2MR2PostJune 6, 2020, 10:07
Administrator

When Yate searches with Master Matching via the Batch Processor it makes a choice for you. The entire process runs in the background. You can choose to dump the matches to the log file and not save the changes. This allows you to see what would be matched. There is no foolproof way to do this. The only way to get a list of potential releases that you can choose from is to manually run the DIscogs Wizard. The post import automation can be done transparently.

Basically there is no guaranteed method of choosing a match other than visual. You either take your chances or leave a visual component I can put together an action for you which would require you to run DIscogs manually, choose a release, then import. Everything else would be automatic. Try that. If it works the way you want we can always try the fully automatic (non perfect) method after.

2MR2PostJune 6, 2020, 11:20
Administrator

You can download an action at: https://2manyrobots.com/actions/coldjim-DiscogsPostImport.zip

Unzip the file and do a Yate>Import Preferences on the plist file. You will now have and action named coldjim - Discogs Post Import

Do a Yate>Preferences and ensure the following settings are enabled:

Apple Apps - General
- Prefer PIDs when linking
- Maximum Grouping-Work Name compatibility

Apple Apps - Auto Import
- Persistent PID

Discogs - General

you can set whatever you wish here but if you want multiple genres to be separated by commas as opposed to ;;; sequences:

- enable 'Combine multiple value items into a single value'
- select the Join override that you prefer. ', '

It you don't want the override set everywhere but only on the mood/genre metadata, it can be done in the action.

Discogs - Artwork

If you only want to import one artwork item, you do not have to change anything. If you want all artwork, enable 'Import all artwork'

Discogs - Advanced

- check 'Run action after import' and from the drop down control select ' coldjim - Discogs Post Import'

When you run the Discogs wizard the next time select what metadata you would like imported on the Release Details panel. Make sure Import Settings is not enabled. This will ensure that every time you run the wizard, the same settings are enabled. Whenever you import, the action will run.

The action does the following:

- Copies Catalog Number to Comments
- Copies Label to Grouping (as it appears in iTunes/Music)
- Copies Mood to Genre
- Copies Artist to Composer if Composer is empty
- saves the files
- adds the files to 'iTunes/Music'
- saves the files if the PIDS were imported from iTunes/Music.

Give it a try.

coldjimPostJune 6, 2020, 11:29

Wow, again thanks for the quick reply.
I will try this out now, and let you know how I get on 🙂
This sounds perfect and is going to save me so much time trying to sort my music collection out.

coldjimPostJune 9, 2020, 04:39

I have only just got round to trying this out.

This is perfect!!!!! I have just tested it. I may play around with Yate some more, see what else it can do, but for now this is going to save me so much time.

Thanks 2MR2!

phrank303PostJanuary 13, 2021, 07:13
January 5, 2021, 06:28

Hi, thanks for the "coldjim - Discogs Post Import” Script. Make my iLive much easier.

Unfortunately the "label to grouping" action doesn't seem to work.

Can you fix this please?

2MR2PostJanuary 13, 2021, 08:24
Administrator

This looks to be the grouping issue that iTunes introduced years ago when it first introduced classical music. Using Help>Search Yate Help look for the following topic: Classical Metadata and the Grouping Field

The setting appears in Preferences-Apple Apps-General and is called Maximum Grouping-Work Name compatibility. This is an optional setting as people who do not use iTunes/Music definitely do not want to use it as it breaks the historical mapping for the Grouping field.

I don't know how you have the option set. The action statement that copies Grouping to Label works on the high level representation of the Grouping field. Regardless it will copy what you see in the Grouping field in Yate to the Label field. The copy does work.

To fix this I need to know what is coming in ... a file edited in iTunes? Are you trying to preserve Grouping data created in another application? What do you see in Yate's Grouping field before running your action and what do you see in the Label field after?

phrank303PostJanuary 14, 2021, 09:16
January 5, 2021, 06:28

nothing…

Pages: 1 2
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.017 seconds.