Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Basic steps in renaming files and tagging
yate_newbiePostAugust 16, 2020, 10:10
August 16, 2020, 13:40
Normal topicBasic steps in renaming files and tagging

Hi there,

I'm new to Yate. I noticed that it is very powerful but I'm struggling with the basic steps in editing files and tags.
This is my case:
I would like to rename files that comes with names like that in the example and write the new filename as a title in a tag.

Rename file: Apparently-Lo72dFOKXSw.m4a > Apparently.m4a via regex like (?:-.*)
Copy filename as title to a Tag.

At least I would like to use this action over and over again with a droplet.

Is there an easy way to do that in Yate?

Cheers.

2MR2PostAugust 16, 2020, 10:30
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Basic steps in renaming files and tagging

As I'm looking at a web generated copy of your post ... I can't tell for sure .... is the 'garbage' text everything following the last dash (-) in the filename? Please confirm.

If I understand correctly you want the file renamed and the new filename should also overwrite the Title field. If nothing is changed in a filename do you still want to overwrite the Title field? Please confirm.

yate_newbiePostAugust 16, 2020, 11:09

Hi 2MR2,
yes, it's some kind of garbarge after each title I've got in every filename. I would like to get rid of that part. At the moment I use „Better rename“ for that but I'm sure it's also possible with Yate. In ideal I would like to build a short workflow/droplet that renames a filename and put the new filename (without the garbarge part) as a title in the M4A Tags. I'm sure that's easy but at the moment I'm stuck in the overwhelming concept of Yate.

2MR2PostAugust 16, 2020, 11:21
Administrator

Hi,

The filenames look what you get when a filesystem has been updated from a shorter filename representation to something which supports a decent length.

Download the following action and install it by dragging the zip file to Yate's main window file list area.

https://2manyrobots.com/actions/CleanFilename.zip

This will give you an action named: Clean Filenames and Title

You can create a droplet by going to Preferences-General and clicking on Create Droplet.... Configure the droplet as displayed in the attached image. Note that you can call the droplet whatever you wish. Note that I'm not setting the Title field if nothing has been modified in the filename.

Please test and verify the results.

Have fun

yate_newbiePostAugust 16, 2020, 12:30

Wow. I've tried it on different files. It works like a charm.
Also great to see that one can build up a script that is very readable. But I would've never found out that „Get Property“ is the place to start. I also notice that you've not used a regex but build-in stuff to delete the garbage. Would it also be possible to do it with a regex?
Cheers

2MR2PostAugust 16, 2020, 13:02
Administrator

🙂 You can also access properties directly from escape sequences on almost any statement.

I'm sure it could be done with a regex using the Regular Expression statement ... but it would be far more difficult. The Find & Remove statement looks for the last '-', deletes it and everything after and then trims any left over trailing spaces. I'm definitely not a regex expert. That's why Yate has the Regular Expression Tester on the Actions menu.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.04 seconds.