Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
load speed
downbeat8PostOctober 3, 2020, 14:12
Beginner
October 5, 2014, 04:55
Normal topicload speed

I have many thousands of tracks. is there a way to increase the load time in yate? when I open a folder with 6,000 tracks it takes forever to load into the Main View. I've done the album and track database action commands but that doesn't seem to be the trick. any tips? thanks!

2MR2PostOctober 3, 2020, 14:51
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: load speed

This is a workflow issue. If you want to load 6000 tracks ... you have to load 6000 tracks. Aside from reading the relevant portions of the audio files, Yate has to accumulate the metadata for the 6000 tracks.

The issue is why is there a need for 6000 tracks to be loaded at once? If you have a track database, you can search, filter from the database. At any time you can load the files you want directly from the database. If you setup a default track database in preferences and you have an Album database, you can even load all tracks in an album from the Album database.

It's far easier to have a workflow which manipulates an album than thousands of tracks at a time.

If you have to make a change on your entire collection, there is the Batch Processor which is far more efficient than the UI. It only loads a folder at a time and has no need to amalgamate metadata across the entire collection.

2MR2PostOctober 3, 2020, 14:52
Administrator

Also, if you have a single folder with 6000 tracks in it, it might be a good idea to somehow move the files to a more logical structure which solves the issue.

downbeat8PostOctober 3, 2020, 23:35
Beginner

its' thousands of songs in a folder when it's a folder higher up the hierarchy and includes subfolders. One example is Compilations/BlueNote_Compilations/Blue Note Highlights/disc01 and then of course there's desic 2,3 etc.. Forgive the simple questions here - what is a use case example of how to use the database? Load in Compilations folder in UI, run the track and album actions, export a database for the compilations folder? then edit the database in Excel or? so ya know - one use I have is finding lots of songs at same or similar tempo and key - regardless of genre or year or anything like that. With everything loaded in the Yate UI I can quickly see all the songs I have in the key of A around 90bpm. How would I use the database route for that kind of searching and organizing. one more simpleton question -when I highlight 10 tracks from an album and select File->Export I get a plist file for each track. what would I do with those? I was assuming (what do they say about assuming! ha) that I would get a csv doc thanks a bunch

2MR2PostOctober 4, 2020, 13:47
Administrator

There are a number of ways to go. You can create a single database encompassing your entire collection or separate databases for subtrees of your collection. Whatever works for you. The main thing is to define an Export set which contains all they metadata you're interested in seeing without loading all the tracks. The database should contain a File Path column. You can then create the database with a one line action (Create Track Database) using the Batch Processor. You can do all the filtering in a database that you can do when all the files are loaded. You open the database in Yate (CSV, TSV or TAB), not Excel, as it provides lots of functionality to sync content.

You can load files from the database to the main window via the context menu. Simply filter and select the files you want to load. For example you can filter on tracks in the Key of A and test for a values below and above 90bpm. See the example I've attached. Once you're more comfortable with using the database there are a number of different settings to assist you in keeping the database synched with the files so that you do not have to rerun it all the time. You can even run a batch process which takes the database as input and updates the files with any changes you've made. There are users who edit this way offline and then apply the changes.

Yate's database support is worth reading the documentation on 🙂

File>Export is a means of exporting every piece of metadata in a file to a recoverable format. It is file based although common artwork is only written once. Most people zip up the files after producing them.

2MR2PostOctober 4, 2020, 13:48
Administrator

Oops I mean to say BPM <= 95 ... but you get the idea.

downbeat8PostOctober 6, 2020, 16:56
Beginner

thank you for the thorough answer.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.018 seconds.