Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Merge Mood into Genre
SineonlinePostJanuary 18, 2021, 06:55
April 21, 2020, 14:44
Normal topicMerge Mood into Genre

Hi,

Having searched the resources, I can't find Merge Mood into Genre. The closest result being Sort, Merge and Prioritize Genres. Merge Mood into Genre isn't on the current depreciated list, so is it long gone?

Ultimately, I want to merge Mood into Genre with any duplicate words removed. For example:
"Genre = Techno | Mood = Techno, Electro" becomes
"Genre = Techno, Electro"

Though I've tried to create a single action to fix genres the way I want them, I just couldn't get it to work. So instead, I've broken it down into steps

1) Firstly, process my whole library to clear any Mood fields that match Genre. The only way I could get this to work was to use Force Grouped Execution. Here's what I did...

Of course, this will only remove exact matching fields. But it's a step in the right direction.

2) I have lots of Genres in a format I used to use with Serato. I now wish to reformat them into comma delimited strings. For example:
"Genre = Techno [Detroit]" becomes
"Genre = Techno, Detroit"
"Genre = House (Acid)" becomes
"Genre = House, Acid"

Based on your examples for "Untitled Titles", this seems to handle my needs well...

I tried the Remove/Insert function to remove trailing "]" and ")", but using 'From: the end' indexed to "0" didn't work, so I reverted to a simple find/replace "".

So far, so good! But...

Before I run step 2 on anything more than test files, I need to understand how the resulting Genre fields will impact on step 3... Merge Mood into Genre (if I can either get the original resourced action, or a new one can be created from scratch)

Step 2 as it stands will result in a lot of files with similar Genre/Mood combinations as this:
"Genre = House, Deep | Mood = Deep House"
Which, if step 3 were to be a straight-up Append function, will result in
"Genre = House, Deep, Deep House"

Really undesirable!

Could step 3 be achieved by editing Sort, Merge and Prioritize Genres to run on a per file basis; removing duplicate words and, rather than prioritising genres, sorting the 'list' alphabetically? - I figure a sort alpha list should reduce the overall number of genre permutations in my iTunes library as I will treat these native Genres as basic playlists

My use case is the same as in this thread, so ultimately, I'd like to set this merge and sort into a post-Discogs import action, if possible.

Thanks

SineonlinePostJanuary 18, 2021, 09:13

I think I'm on to something...! 😀

SineonlinePostJanuary 18, 2021, 10:33

Yup. I think I've cracked it!!!

Becomes

And... releases that I've already scanned through and assigned genres I want for each track... will now collate all Genres and Moods for each file in the folder into the Mood field

Which, although pretty useless for iTunes and Traktor, etc. will still be useful for beaTunes, which I use for compiling playlists.

SineonlinePostJanuary 18, 2021, 10:53

Regarding question in Line 4 - Can this be done with a PATH variable? - I'm a bit scared to just run this on my whole library in a batch process.

EDIT: Reading the Batch Processing help file, this is not necessary, as the batch processor will run per folder and subfolder, through the directory. So effectively, I can throw my library volume on to the batch processor and this action will sort out my Genres and Moods* just the way I want them

❓ Also, is it possible to generate two log files? Same_Folder_Different_Genre.log and Same_Folder_Same_Genre.log

❓ Maybe by using a couple of System Variables as lists and dumping them to text files before quitting the application?

* If only they would sort out my moods, says Mrs Sineonline 🙄

2MR2PostJanuary 18, 2021, 11:33
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

The Compare Field Across Files statement can be used to do a loose comparison of fields across files which I think is what you want. You can alternately build a list from the Genre field and check if the number of items is 1.

The Batch Processor only automatically generates a single log file ... however you can manually write as many files as you wish from inside the action. You could simply write the folder path to the files followed by a newline character. Either retain the lists in memory and write them when the batch process finishes or write/append to each file as required.

It's difficult for me to evaluate the action to see how 'safe' it is from a screenshot ... especially with the flashing ads on the page. 🙂

If you want export the action from the Action Manager (right click on the action then Export) and send it to me. If there are disjoint actions simply select them all. The export process will automatically include everything referenced in an action including other actions. I'll be happy to have a look and check if it's safe. If you want to do so, send the action to support@2manyrobots.com.

SineonlinePostJanuary 18, 2021, 13:26

Thanks! Sorry about the flashing adds. I tried to use my Flickr account, but Yahoo have either deleted it for lack of use in the last 5 years, or their new login process has thrown an spanner in the works.

Earlier, I successfully changed 'GRIME / FWD' to just Grime because, along with flashing ads, its a crime against eyeballs (and for goodness sake, a club name shouldn't be a genre... except for House... and Garage... and... OK, I just don't like the block caps!)

So building on that success, I'm now trying to add some standardisation to hyphenated music styles, in particular 'Avant-garde' and 'Hip Hop', which I've never seemed to use consistently. But I can't seem to change the 'Avantgarde' in my current test files.

I'll send my current version over to you from my Hotmail account. Also adding this line to see if I can get the attached image inline and avoid the ads 🙂

Cheers!

EDIT: Ah! Attach, post, then edit!

2MR2PostJanuary 18, 2021, 13:32
Administrator

I'll know more when I get the 'real' action. However .... line 4, 8 and 12 have issues. They completely negate the test immediately before them as they are setting (SET) the test results. I assume that you want them to be ORs.

2MR2PostJanuary 18, 2021, 13:39
Administrator

'negate' was a poor choice of words. I meant 'cancel'.

SineonlinePostJanuary 18, 2021, 14:59
Quote from 2MR2 on January 18, 2021, 13:32

I'll know more when I get the 'real' action. However .... line 4, 8 and 12 have issues. They completely negate the test immediately before them as they are setting (SET) the test results. I assume that you want them to be ORs.

Oh, yes! That makes sense 🙂

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.032 seconds.