Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Automatically Tag Earliest Release Date
Nomad76PostJanuary 25, 2021, 13:27
January 25, 2021, 18:16
Normal topicAutomatically Tag Earliest Release Date

Hi!

Is there a way to have Yate search a music database (Discogs or Music Brainz) for just the "Track Title" and "Artist" and select the earliest listed release date, regardless of the album?

I would rather tag my 1960's music with a date of 1962 than the re-release date of 1982 or 2018.

Currently I do this manually, and it is very labor intensive.

Thanks.

2MR2PostJanuary 25, 2021, 15:08
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Currently you can use AcoustID (and therefore MusicBrainz). You will get mixed results.

Then following action should do it:

Clear Fingerprint Data
Get Data from AcoustID
Extract Earliest Release from AcoustID

Amongst a couple of other fields this will set Original Release Time. The quality of the result largely depends on the the accuracy of the AcoustID match as the earliest release is extracted from the best title match.

There's no terrible downside as the 'extract' statement only sets Original Album, Original Artist, Original Filename/Title, Original Release Time and the MusicBrainz Original Album Id UDTI.

If you do not want to retain the large fingerprint and AcoustID data add the following statements to the end of the action:

Clear AcoustID Data
Clear AcoustID Data

Nomad76PostJanuary 25, 2021, 16:45

Thanks. I tried this, but I could not get it to work. The problem is that any re-releases of an old song will also have a new release date. So an older song from the 1960's would be catalogued with the new 2020's release date. So I want to ignore the album and just deal with song name and artist to find the earliest version.

But you did point me in the right direction. It seems that I can make an action, that places the track title into the Album field to search the discog data base.. But I dont know how to query the results (within the action) for the earliest release date.

Based on your example above, I created a new action with the following:
"Copy the Title field to a named variable."
"Search Discogs for album "\Track Title" to named variable"
Then I assumed it searched the data base with the Artist and Track Title as the Album, and then pasted the results as a variable. But I dont know how to search those results for only the "Year" and then select the lowest Year, and then replace the Year tag with the results.

2MR2PostJanuary 25, 2021, 17:05
Administrator

The Extract Earliest Release from AcoustID statement is track and not album based. It expressly looks for the title match with the oldest release date. The issue is that it may fail when the song is a re-release by a different artist as the fingerprints may not match.

I don't think that what you are attempting with Discogs can work. Discogs has no separate accessible entities for tracks as does MusicBrainz. While you can enter a track name for the search Album field it will not be matching track metadata in their database ... it will be attempting Release (album) matches.

BTW: Original Release time can be extracted from MusicBrainz if any of your 60s stuff can be lumped into releases. If not, I agree it would be tedious.

This potentially can be done with MusicBrainz by searching Recordings as opposed to releases. I'll investigate what can be done.

Nomad76PostJanuary 26, 2021, 17:48

Thanks for offering to look into it for me. Currently I've been doing it all by hand. But I know I cant be the only one that prefers original release dates.

2MR2PostFebruary 2, 2021, 13:24
Administrator

The next non patch release of Yate will have a new action statement named MusicBrainz Earliest Recording. The statement extracts the Original Release Time from MusicBrainz on a per track basis. It works by matching Title and Artist against recordings.

You can even do targeted searches by specifying a Title and Artist.

It's slow ... but it works.

Nomad76PostMarch 13, 2021, 17:45

THANK YOU!

I Swear, Yate is one of the most useful programs I have to keep my music files processed and organized. I have to buy an extra license for my new laptop, and I don't even mind. Its that useful.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.02 seconds.