Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Reconnect local files
pruchaiPostJanuary 27, 2021, 14:56
September 3, 2020, 11:21
Normal topicReconnect local files

I guess this is more of a feature request? Not even sure if this is possible.

Basically, I subscribe to Apple Music, but the majority of my music is in .aiff format. I have no idea what happened to the Music app, but lately, I have managed to accidentally right-click on quite a few tracks and the very first item in the drop down menu - Remove Download, wich immediately, without any confirmation, removes my local .aiff file and replaces with 256k AAC from iCloud. This drives me absolutely crazy. I am able to restore the .aiff from a backup, but I have not found a way to re-connect it to my library, without having to add it as a new track, losing my Date Added and times played.

Is there any way for Yate to re-connect my local file to the library and get rid of that iCloud one? I'm at the point where I am ready to make all my tracks immutable, so the Music app can not delete them.

2MR2PostJanuary 27, 2021, 15:28
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Unfortunately not. Yate can't manipulate anything in 'the cloud'.

However ... I might have a fix.

You can download the deleted tracks in Music from the cloud. This will give you a copy in the default location on your Mac. The Music application will now treat the track as local.

Load the track restored from your backup into Yate then link it. If you were storing PIDs (always a good idea) they will fail however linking by metadata should work. If you can establish a link, Saving or Refresh Apple App will tell Music that the location has changed. Music will now think that the local copy is your restored version. The play counts and data added should be preserved. I just tried it and it worked for me. I only checked date added but the play counts should work as well. I didn't have anything in iCloud which was played.

Once the locations have been updated you can delete the copies in the iTunes/Music folder.

pruchaiPostFebruary 1, 2021, 05:54

Hm. That did not work for me.

Even when I download the track from iCloud and it is placed in the default folder, the Music application is still telling me that the tack id in iCloud despite showing the location of the track in the defuilt directory and Yate is showing "AppleScript Link Error"

2MR2PostFebruary 1, 2021, 07:33
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

I guess Apple Music is treated differently than purchases not downloaded. I'm not sure if anything can be done other than rebuilding the library 🙁

pruchaiPostFebruary 1, 2021, 12:18

oh, I don't have to rebuild, just add the deleted track back to the library and lose play counts/date added.

I wish there was an alternative to Apple Music with the ability to effortlessly sync the library between computers and mobile devices.

Anyway, thank you for looking into it.

I am going to start another thread as I need some help with my workflow. It's totally out of hand.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.026 seconds.