Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Cant understand ratings and how they work with iTunes..
zeltakPostMarch 22, 2021, 03:35
February 20, 2021, 12:14
Normal topicCant understand ratings and how they work with iTunes..

Hi all

so i added the rating field in YATE and tried adding ratings both in the table view and the panel view.
they seem to add the rating in the YATE gui but when i link them to apple music i can never get these ratings to show in apple music. All other fields i update show and work well

im sure im missing something trivial, any help would be appreciated

best

Z

2MR2PostMarch 22, 2021, 07:11
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Ratings are one of those library only fields that Apple never reads from the files. Same as Love, Media Kind, etc.

You either have to export the values or ....... in Preferences - Apple Apps - Fields of Interest make sure that Rating is checked. Do the same in Preferences - Apple Apps - Auto Export. If you do this, every time you Save or Refresh a linked file, the Rating will be forced into the Apple App.

There is a document on the resources page called Working with Apple Apps - The Basics which goes over this.

zeltakPostApril 7, 2021, 01:12

Hi again and sorry for the slightly late response.. 🙂
i do have "Fields of Interest Rating" checked and "Apple Apps - Auto Export" on. but still cant get the rating refreshed or even shown in apple music.

also i did read the documentation but still feeling lost. any additional tips would be greatly appreciated!

thx

Z

2MR2PostApril 7, 2021, 10:16
Administrator

In order to set any of the special library only metadata in iTunes/Music the track has to be currently linked. Also 'Setting rating in Fields of Interest is not sufficient. You also have to set it in 'Auto Export' in the same Preferences-Apple Apps location.

Try this. Set the open mode to Playlist (File>Open Mode). Drag a single file from iTunes/Music into Yate's main window. Change the rating and save the file. Assume that the above preference changes have been made in Preferences-Apple Apps, the rating will update in iTunes/Music.

zeltakPostApril 28, 2021, 08:13

Thx again and sorry for the slow response back (life always gets in the way :)).

so i have confirmed that i have the rating field in all sections (`field of interest, `auto import` and `auto export`).

Set the open mode to Playlist (File>Open Mode). Drag a single file from iTunes/Music into Yate's main window. Change the rating and save the file. Assume that the above preference changes have been made in Preferences-Apple Apps, the rating will update in iTunes/Music.

tried this as well with no success. even unliked and re-linked the files to apple music. nothing seems to set the Apple music ratings...

any clue?

thx for your help!

2MR2PostApril 28, 2021, 08:42
Administrator

I'm assuming that we're talking about the Music application here? Not Apple Music the streaming service? Yate cannot change anything in Apple Music (ie. cloud content). Also, linking is transient and must be reestablished any time you want to do anything.

I'll create a small video and upload it later today. I'll give the link here.

zeltakPostApril 28, 2021, 09:00

thx and yeah i mean the music app (worst name ever for an app :))

2MR2PostApril 28, 2021, 10:20
Administrator

Not only is it a terrible name but it's the only application that ever made me miss iTunes. See my latest blog post 🙂

Here's a link to a short video:

https://2manyrobots.com/Video/ChangingRatingsInMusic.mov

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.033 seconds.