Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Media Type, Movement and saving
UKenGBPostMarch 28, 2021, 14:49
Advanced
April 30, 2020, 09:36
Normal topicMedia Type, Movement and saving

In order:-

I assume that the Media Type is actually stored as an Integer and anything that doesn't correspond to the 'standard' types is stored as a separate user defined (probably text) tag. Seems to work and whatever was entered is displayed again when the file is next loaded by Yate. However, is it possible to define the items that appear in the pop-up list of Media Types? It would be easier if custom Types could be added and then simply selected from that list rather than typing in each time.

When Movement is displayed as a column in the main file list, clicking the column header doesn't sort by that tag. The little up and down arrows flip, but the list is not sorted. Any reason or simply an omission?

I have an Action that modifies some tags, saves the file, moves it and closes it if successful. However, with most of the files showing red (edited), when running this Action, each file almost immediately turned green (meaning edits are saved) and THEN actually worked on each file and saved it. As the first time saved by Yate, this was quite slow (no space for the extra data) so no way they could have all been saved when turned green. It all worked out correctly, but had the Action been cancelled part way through, looks like there would have been unsaved files showing green. Seems Yate is not performing everything in the correct order.

Might I also suggest that 'Filters' are mentioned in the Docs. I found the 'Stop Action and Filter Files' but NO indication whatsoever how to actually create a Filter. Easy when you know how, but caused much frustration and aggravation trying to find out how to create them.

Otherwise, Yate is doing a grand job, as always.

2MR2PostMarch 28, 2021, 15:36
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

I assume that the Media Type is actually stored as an Integer and anything that doesn't correspond to the 'standard' types is stored as a separate user defined (probably text) tag. Seems to work and whatever was entered is displayed again when the file is next loaded by Yate. However, is it possible to define the items that appear in the pop-up list of Media Types? It would be easier if custom Types could be added and then simply selected from that list rather than typing in each time.

Media Type only works like that with MPEG-4 files because Apple stores the values as an integer.

The Media Type control be associated with a list ... much like Artist, Genre etc. This means that the list can be configured to populate automatically or you can manually edit the list in Preferences-Lists-Media Type. In Preferences-Lists you can see that the Media Type field is mapped to the Media Type list. You can always enable Autocompletes and Auto-Saves. If you click on the List Mappings control (top left of the panel) you can select Media Type and manually edit the list.

When Movement is displayed as a column in the main file list, clicking the column header doesn't sort by that tag. The little up and down arrows flip, but the list is not sorted. Any reason or simply an omission?

Movement not sorting is a bug.

I have an Action that modifies some tags, saves the file, moves it and closes it if successful. However, with most of the files showing red (edited), when running this Action, each file almost immediately turned green (meaning edits are saved) and THEN actually worked on each file and saved it. As the first time saved by Yate, this was quite slow (no space for the extra data) so no way they could have all been saved when turned green. It all worked out correctly, but had the Action been cancelled part way through, looks like there would have been unsaved files showing green. Seems Yate is not performing everything in the correct order.

When the action is running the updating of the changed (reg/green) indicators is performed only when absolutely necessary. Some statements have to update the UI immediately, others do not. As long as the indicators are correct when an action finishes, ... everything is good. The timing might seem off to you but when an action terminates (normally or cancelled), the UI gets updated,

Might I also suggest that 'Filters' are mentioned in the Docs. I found the 'Stop Action and Filter Files' but NO indication whatsoever how to actually create a Filter. Easy when you know how, but caused much frustration and aggravation trying to find out how to create them.

The documentation is far more than a pain. However there is a Help>Search Yate Help function. If you search for filters one topic that is listed is The Filter Editor and other is Main Window Filters. With 622 help files (as of now) even I cannot remember where to find everything. That being said a link in the 'Stop Action and Filter Files' documentation would make sense.

UKenGBPostMarch 29, 2021, 04:48
Advanced

Thanks Barry. Just couldn't find where to access the Filter Editor. I did in the end, but thought that as you say, a link in the 'Stop Action…' panel would have helped enormously.

Regarding the Media Type list, I never spotted that in the Prefs. but that is exactly what I want. However, what if I change one of the existing items, e.g. 'Music Video' to 'Music-Video'. Would that simply map the new text to that same entry, or treat it as a new custom item?

2MR2PostMarch 29, 2021, 07:24
Administrator

I've inserted links and fixed the Movement sorting. They're both in v6.4.1 which will be released today.

Lists are just lists. There is no association of list items to fields such that automatic renaming will occur. You can configure the fields to always use the alphabetic case of list items ... but that's it. This will never change as the list controllers are used everywhere in the code. Being able to make the behaviour of user entry into a field link up with lists with different behaviours was a pain. Lists are easier to understand if you think about the more common usage ones such as the Artist list.

I don't know if you're using iTunes/Music/TV but the mappings of the Media Field to Apple integer values is done symbolically. If you search for Audio Edit Panel in Help>Search Yate Help you'll see the mappings.

UKenGBPostMarch 29, 2021, 08:07
Advanced

Thanks again. Not too concerned about Apple apps as I'm moving more and more into Plex and away from iTunes/Music which I just use for playing locally in my study. I lost faith in iTunes when it became apparent that it doesn't bother to keep the file metadata tags in sync with what you actually set in iTunes (and gets stored in its library file). So a lot of time could be spent curating media files and getting all the metadata exactly correct and then discovering Apple have somehow allowed, or engineered that iTunes may or may not have actually saved that data to the files. An appalling state of affairs, but it is what drove me to look for an alternative that works and to then discover Yate.

Anyway, I just want to use the Media Type tag/field to categorise each file in Yate so that my Action can deal with each type appropriately. To a certain extent, it is then no longer important as the file will be given to Plex which deals with it based on its folder name and structure, which is created by my Yate Action and which is determined by the Media Type. However, I don't like discarding data and so if it can be maintained, that would be good.

UKenGBPostApril 5, 2021, 03:47
Advanced

My last message got posted twice. I can only assume the 'cannot post again within 30 secs (or whatever)' somehow then did post it, after I waited and posted it myself. Forum code needs looking into there. In fact, that restriction shouldn't apply when simply editing a post. If there needs to be any restriction, it should only apply to new posts.

Anyway, the duplicate (and this) should just be deleted, but I cannot do that.

2MR2PostApril 5, 2021, 07:37
Administrator

Thanks for letting me know about the double post. Unfortunately the list of issues with the forum is a very lengthy one. The forum is no longer supported and quite frankly is holding on by a thread. I've managed to have a few bugs fixed by paying someone to go in and tweak it.

I'm hoping it remains viable for as long as we can keep it going. The cost in money, time and effort to migrate to a new forum is a killer.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.027 seconds.