Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2
For $20 can someone write me a renaming script?
2MR2PostJune 8, 2021, 10:14
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Hot topicFor $20 can someone write me a renaming script?

Sorry I was in a rush this morning.

Download: https://2manyrobots.com/actions/Aronson-Move-2.zip

Import it via Yate>Import Preferences. Set Overwrite.

aronsonPostSeptember 28, 2021, 08:57
Beginner
March 20, 2019, 19:23

I’m happy to report that this action has changed my life for the better, thank you! 😀

Is there a way to scan a folder that has subfolders per disc and when reconstructing the new folder put files that have a disc number in their tag back into a subfolder “Disc 01”, “Disc 02”, “Disc 33”, etc.? And, can any remaining files (without tags?) be put into a subfolder “Artwork”?

Am I asking too much? 🙂

Thanks!

2MR2PostSeptember 28, 2021, 09:39
Administrator

Everything is possible. However, I need more detail.

When you say 'disc number in their tag' are you referring to the Disc field or the disc number somehow being embedded in the filename?

Also a listing of the folder structure or a screenshot of the Finder would help me to understand the existing structure.

aronsonPostSeptember 28, 2021, 13:46
Beginner

That the DISCNUMBER (and DISCCOUNT possibly) ID3 tag would be populated.

Here is the existing structure: Image

2MR2PostSeptember 28, 2021, 14:03
Administrator

From your image it appears that the disc folders already exist. If this is always the case I can simply create the Artwork subfolder.

If this is not always the case, let me know as I may have to move the audio files.

BTW: while I tend to go with 'each to his own', I am not a fan of 'disc' folders. Most modern players do better if all tracks in an album are in a single folder and depend on the Disc Number tag to differentiate.

aronsonPostSeptember 29, 2021, 17:07
Beginner
Quote from 2MR2 on September 28, 2021, 14:03

BTW: while I tend to go with 'each to his own', I am not a fan of 'disc' folders. Most modern players do better if all tracks in an album are in a single folder and depend on the Disc Number tag to differentiate.

I tend to agree so let me ask this… Given that the folder image above is an example of where I start can you make sure that the script/action as it currently works will drill into subfolders and then rename files so that the disc number is part of the filename? So for track number 5 on disc 2 it would look something like: “02-05 Trackname.flac” and all the tracks will be in one folder? And yes, can anything that is not an audio file be put into a subfolder called “Artwork”? Even the .cue and .log files, etc?

2MR2PostSeptember 29, 2021, 17:27
Administrator

All clear now. I'll get back to you when the action is done.

2MR2PostSeptember 30, 2021, 12:09
Administrator

The new action cannot be combined with the one I sent you earlier. There are a number of reasons:

• The Batch processor does not process folders which do not contain audio files.
  • There is no guaranteed order as to which folders get processed first.
  • Every folder is treated as a separate entity.

Download the zip file at: https://2manyrobots.com/actions/Aronson-Move-3.zip. Do a Yate>Import Preferences of the downloaded zip file. Make sure Overwrite is set.

I've updated the original action to fix a bug when identifying invalid destination folders. If you look in the Action Manager you'll see that the original action's version numbers have been bumped to v1.1. I've also included the line to place Artist into the folder name which you requested earlier in this thread.

The new action is named Aronson: Flatten Disc Folders - Friendly. I suggest that you run it prior to running the original action. This is due to the fact that the Disc folders will be renamed with the original album.

The new action does two passes through the files. (again because of the indeterminate ordering of folders).

The first pass only processes disc # folders with audio files. The Disc field is set to the number on the folder. The files are moved one folder up. All non audio files are also moved one folder up. (Nothing will be overwritten). The Disc folder will be deleted if empty.

The second pass processes all folders with audio files. The Disk Count is calculated and saved to the files. The files are renamed if necessary. All non audio files are moved into an Artwork subfolder.

Test it out and let me know how it goes.

aronsonPostOctober 1, 2021, 15:50
Beginner

I can tell that the complexity went up a notch. Things went pretty well with the Flatten script but the Move - Friendly made a mess of things. Glad I made a copy of the files before I organized them. 😎

Let’s rethink the way this should work as a means of simplifying. First let’s assume that every folder in the source folder will be the “album”

For the “flatten”…
1) Action should crawl all the subfolders of folders in the source directory and move them as such:
- Image files should go into a folder “Artwork”
- Audio files should go into the root of the album’s folder renamed like the current scheme “02.13” where the file is track 13 of disc 2. Audio files may be in subfolders “Disk 1” OR “CD 1” or “CD1” (if this is too complicated maybe it is easiest just to use the tagging and ignore what folders the audio files are in)
- All other files should go into a folder “Misc”

For the rename the folders should be named to: “The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band [FLAC] (1967)”

Make sense?

2MR2PostOctober 1, 2021, 15:59
Administrator

The issue is that when the batch processor is running there is no implied order as to which folders get processed first. So there is no way to crawl only root folders ... without a lot of pain.

What I did should have done the following:

Pass 1:

Anytime a Disc folder (I was not looking for CD) was found it's audio files were move into the parent folder.

Any non audio files in a 'Disc' folder should have been moved directly into the parent folder (...for now)

Any empty Disc folder was deleted.

Pass 2:

Disc Counts were calculated

All non audio files are placed in an Artwork folder.

As the Disc tag was set, having all the audio folders for a single album in the same folder should have been prefereable.

Things seemed to work for me when I duplicated your Finder screenshot.

What didn't work?

I could easily handle CD folders as well as Disc and separating non audio files into Artwork and Misc is also easy.

Pages: 1 2
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.045 seconds.