Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
The or not The...that is the question...
mrianforestPostJune 20, 2021, 15:08
May 25, 2021, 05:59
Normal topicThe or not The...that is the question...

Are there any actions or tools I can use to help me find tracks where the artist sometimes starts with "The" and sometimes without?

The Temptations
Temptations
The Village People
Village People
etc.

I basically want to consolidate my whole collection and set the artists up properly, across the board.

Many thanks!

2MR2PostJune 20, 2021, 19:41
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

There's an action statement called Standardize on List Items which will do most of the work. Basically an action which does two passes through the Batch Processor will clean your files.

The first pass will accumulate the Artist list. This will handle metadata in Artist and Album Artist. When done, duplicates in the Artist list will be removed. The second pass will standardize the fields.

I can write the action for you but I have to know which form you want to keep. ie. Keep 'the' or toss it. Further do you only want to force a form if both exist or always. For example if you decide you want to toss' the' and you only had 'The Temptations' (no occurrence of 'Temptations') do you still want to toss the 'The'?

2MR2PostJune 20, 2021, 19:45
Administrator

For my two cents worth ... I keep items with 'The'. Some groups sound terrible without the 'the'. For example 'Band' vs. 'The Band'.

mrianforestPostJune 21, 2021, 03:12
May 25, 2021, 05:59

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm all in for keeping the "The" without a doubt, I don't want to lose it.

If a duplicate file exists then as long as I can see in the list of files which ones are possible duplicates, i.e. both are highlighted then I can make a judgement on which one to nuke, or not at all if it's a different version.

In my head, the way this would run is that you open up a folder of files, highlight them, run the action and it would just highlight the ones that need changing maybe. I can then check out their official name and make a decision on what to do next.

Hope this helps.

2MR2PostJune 21, 2021, 08:09
Administrator

While your approach is possible it seems like a lot of work over an entire collection.

I have a small action which you could run over your entire collection which would fix them all at once preserving the form of a name which starts with an article.

Yate has the concept of an Artist list which can be filled manually, automatically or on-the-fly by editing fields. This list is managed in Preferences-Lists. When Yate populates the list it keeps the first instance of a name and from that point on ignores variants (alphabetic case and leading article differences). The list of articles (typically 'a', 'an' and 'the') are maintained in a user configurable Natural Sort Exception set.

The action I have clears the Artist list and temporarily empties the Natural Sort Exception set. It then does a pass over a collection accumulating Artist, Album Artist and Original Artist. As there are no registered 'articles' both variants of a name (with and without a leading article) are placed into the Artist list.

I then look for all items in the Artist list which start with a leading article and remove the associated article-less variants. At this point the Artist list is 'pure'.

I then perform another pass over a collection standardizing the names in the Artist, Album Artist and Original Artist fields which results in all fields getting the names which have the leading articles.

The Batch Processor log will contain a list of every file which was modified.

This sounds complicated but it's really only a tiny action.

This way does everything unattended. You could them examine the Artist list looking for items which start with a leading article and modify it if you wish running only the second pass after making changes. This is for the rare case where you want to keep the variant without the 'The'.

The action could easily be separated into parts so you could do it in stages. ie. prepare the list and examine it, make changes then run a correcting pass. I could even produce printouts of only those relevant names.

As I said, it sounds like a lot but it is really a less manual means of doing it. Let me know what you think.

2MR2PostJuly 8, 2021, 09:01
Administrator

When v6.6 of Yate is released a set of actions dedicated to finding duplicate credit names will be posted at the same time. They can work in immediate mode or via the Batch Processor.

The first step identifies the duplicates which will identify names with alphabetic differences; diacritic differences; punctuation differences; space differences; leading article differences and suffix differences. The second step presents you with duplicates and allows you to resolve them. You can run this action at your leisure as everything is retained when you exit. The third step allows you to apply the resolved names against selected files or through the Batch Processor.

All credit fields are handled including Involved People, Musician Credits and any custom field defined as being a credit.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.036 seconds.