Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
DATE tag
luijtenPostFebruary 12, 2022, 10:33
August 3, 2020, 22:32
Normal topicDATE tag

Hello,

I am using MinimServer, which reported for a flac file: "truncating incorrect value for DATE tag"

I understand the reason for the message, but cannot find where in Yate to edit this tag. It seems to be an official VORBIS tag (and Yate knows that, since it doesn't appear in the "user-defined tags").

My apologies if I am overlooking something.

Thank you,

Erik

2MR2PostFebruary 12, 2022, 10:51
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicDATE tag

Hmm... if it's not on the UD Text panel then more than likely it's mapped to a standard field in your mappings. DATE is commonly mapped to the Year field in FLAC/OGG Mappings. Depending on your settings, the Year field may only be showing the Year and not the entire contents. You can fix this in Preferences-File List-Do not enforce formatting of the Year field.

Also as of v6.8 it is really easy to find something. Do an Edit>Find>Find Tag With Content and enter the data you're looking for. The Log Viewer will display everywhere the data is found.

luijtenPostFebruary 12, 2022, 18:05
Normal topicDATE tag

Thank you. Once I changed the "Preferences-File List-Do not enforce formatting of the Year" setting, the incorrect value showed up in the Year field, which confirms that DATE is mapped onto YEAR. Interestingly, my .flac file contains both "DATE" and "YEAR", where only the DATE was formatted incorrectly, so apparently the DATE tag overrides the YEAR tag.

One last question: if my goal is to have properly formatted metafields, I presume that the "Do not enforce formatting of the Year field" is the best choice? After all, I cannot be sure that the formatting correction applied by Yate would also be applied by any other application in which I use the .flac file.

Lastly, I will try to remember the tip about the "Find Tag With Content" option!

luijtenPostFebruary 12, 2022, 18:20
Normal topicDATE tag

P.S. I also verified that editing "Year" within Yate only changes the DATE tag, leaving the YEAR tag unchanged. One could debate if that is desirable.

2MR2PostFebruary 12, 2022, 19:25
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicDATE tag

The "Preferences-File List-Do not enforce formatting of the Year" setting is mostly to accommodate iTunes/Music which prefer four digit year fields. Personally I do not keep enforce enabled. I would leave it off. Most other players will accept full dates.

As far as YEAR and DATE tags ... there are no semantics associated with the names. They are merely mappings. If you do not have a mapping for YEAR it will appear as is on the UD Text editing panel. The FLAC mappings in Yate have a construct which allows you to handle this. You can have multiple tags which will be read and one which will be written. You can read both YEAR and DATE but only write DATE. I'm not sure what's in your mappings but see the attached screenshot for how I map Year. You enter mappings for both YEAR and DATE (associated with Year). Then select DATE and hit the '1' button. Once the mappings are set that way Yate will read both but only write one.

luijtenPostFebruary 12, 2022, 19:39
Normal topicDATE tag

Thank you, I understand it now. For me "Year" is associated with "DATE" (I do not know if I once did that or if it is Yate's default) and nothing is associated with the "YEAR" tag. And indeed, the actual YEAR tag in the .flac file shows up in the "user defined" category.

The reason I came across all this is that I had a .flac file that contained a DATE tag of the form "1970/2002" (referring to original recording and year of remaster), which is not valid, but I never spotted the problem in Yate due to the enforced formatting.

Kind regards,

Erik

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.011 seconds.