Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2 3
Using Track Names & Numbers to generate file names
2MR2PostMarch 15, 2022, 21:42
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Very Hot topicUsing Track Names & Numbers to generate file names

You won't see this type of extraneous tag in most other taggers as they do not display everything found in a file.

SnowdogPostMarch 15, 2022, 22:02
Pro
March 15, 2022, 17:12

Yeah, FLAC files. That's the only place these extra fields seem to appear, at least in the files that I receive. The current set I'm working on are actually all coming to me as APE files. I'm using Amvidia's "To FLAC Converter" to make my FLACs. I think it's so handy to have that user defined section. Tag Editor would never show those extra tags & the only other thing I had to look at tags was the dBpoweramp one. It was quite limited & wouldn't actually show me FLAC tags, but it would at least show me all the file's tags after I'd converted it to a format that was Mac friendly, even when Tag Editor still couldn't display it & I could strip it out from there.

I'm not converting my files to a lossy format any more, so it's amazing to be able to see everything, even in FLAC, & basically just strip it out manually on a case by case basis, ready for Roon.

I can see that the field editor is also way more powerful than the one in Tag Editor, so I'm well away. License bought & ready to get busy!

SnowdogPostMarch 16, 2022, 08:21
Pro

Another thing that interests me. I don't seem to be able to have more than one document open at the same time. Very often, with album series', say, I'd have the first one open (in Tag Editor, that is) so that I can copy & paste repetitive fields from the first into each one that follows.

What technique would you use to do this in Yate?

2MR2PostMarch 16, 2022, 09:04
Administrator

The Open Mode determines how files get loaded. You can access it on the File menu and from the toolbar. Do a Help>Search Yate Help and enter Open Mode. Scroll down and look for the article called The Open Mode. There's a video (somewhat dated as are all the videos) at: https://www.youtube.com/user/2ManyRobots1/feed/

There's powerful support for copying metadata between files. It's accessed on the Actions menu on the Copy Metadata submenu. You can quickly get help for any menu item via: Help>Quick Reference>Help by Menu

SnowdogPostMarch 23, 2022, 07:58
Pro

Hi, I have a couple of other potentially very silly questions that may well be in the documentation, but it's just so vast & detailed that I find it quite impenetrable.

1. On the left of that main window, I've navigated to the box set I'm currently tagging. I have the + enabled. When I drag in the next CD, it always comes in on top & I have to drag the tracks to the bottom. (It just makes sense for me to be seeing the discs from top to bottom in numerical order.) Is this a behaviour I can change or do I have to continue as I am?

2. When I add artwork, it always takes me to the last folder I took artwork from. I'd rather it took me to the folder where the selected tracks reside. It this an option I can change?

Thanks.

2MR2PostMarch 23, 2022, 10:48
Administrator

1. When in Album mode, Yate always sorts the files after every add. The last loaded set does not necessarily go to the top as the entire list is sorted byAlbum, Disc, Track, etc. If you set the mode to Playlist, tracks get added to the bottom in whatever order they are received. The downside is that when dragging in files the order they are given to us is not always the natural order for the album. This means albums may not be sorted correctly. Play with it and see which of the two modes, Album and Playlist, you prefer. You can also right click on any column header and create your own named sorts.

2. I assume that you're adding the artwork from a file open panel. That panel is controlled by Apple and in fact is part of the OS. By default it always uses the last open folder. While Yate can override this it is not feasible in this case. There are so many combinations of selected and unselected files that it gets impossible to figure out where to place the panel on the file system. It's been years since I've added artwork by the panel. You can drag artwork in from the Finder, Yate's File Browser, from a browser, etc. They can be dragged to the Artwork editing panel or simply to the main list of files. The File Browser can be configured to display all files via its context menu. View>Show All Files. If you see the artwork you can simple drag it over to the file list.

Hopefully this helps.

SnowdogPostMarch 23, 2022, 11:42
Pro

Thanks.

I'm adding artwork by right clicking on the "artwork" panel in Yate & navigating from there. It's not a major pain at all, it would just save me a few seconds' fiddle navigating to the new folder each time, especially with the 107 disc box set I'm currently tagging.

I guess if it's an Apple window, then I'm stuck with it.

2MR2PostMarch 23, 2022, 11:48
Administrator

If you have a 107 disc box set and each has its artwork in a deterministic place I can easily give you an action to load the artwork.

SnowdogPostMarch 23, 2022, 11:51
Pro

That sounds interesting. Can I embed screenshots into a post without having to upload them to somewhere like imgur first?

2MR2PostMarch 23, 2022, 11:54
Administrator

If you do a Reply as opposed to a Submit Quick Reply you should be able to upload screenshots. I just need to know how the artwork is stored on disc.

Pages: 1 2 3
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.034 seconds.