Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2 3
Adding the track total automatically
2MR2PostApril 16, 2022, 09:15
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Very Hot topicAdding the track total automatically

I'll answer your question about extracting the Disc number from a tracks's folder before I get to Roon .....

You'd use File to Tag templates to do this. They're defined in Preferences - File to Tag.

Download and install:

https://2manyrobots.com/actions/Snowdog-ExtractDiscfromFolder.zip

Select al the files which which have Decca Sound ## in the folder name.

Do an Edit>File to Tag>Snowdog: Extract Disc from Folder and you'll have the Disc numbers.

This is NOT an action it's a File to Tag template which I exported. See the screenshot

Of course this could be generalized in an action as well.

Back to Roon ....

Roon supports two tags called ROONALBUMTAG and ROONTRACKTAG. If you import the Roon custom panel from the resource site you'll have custom fields named Roon Album Tag and Roon Track Tag. You can also supposedly use these to assist with various sorting issues. You can read about them at the following link:

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/tags#Tag_Browser

SnowdogPostApril 16, 2022, 16:10
Pro
March 15, 2022, 17:12

Regarding the above question with the screen shots, I managed to find an action that creates disc numbers based on the track numbers. From there I was able to use the newly created disc numbers & your action to use the disc number for the "00".

Job done. 🙂

2MR2PostApril 16, 2022, 16:30
Administrator

One great method when you're learning all this stuff is to create small actions which do one thing. Since one action can call another you can create an action which successively calls others.

It seems like you caught on to this already. Good stuff.

SnowdogPostApril 16, 2022, 16:32
Pro

I shall read the Roon link. Thanks.

Okay, this is a bit of a long, boring one but...

As a rule, I'm not having any trouble organising my Roon library with regard to album names, album artists, etc. (especially that I now have the power to go in & strip out user defined tags from FLAC files which used to foul things up).

The information I have to enter manually is Recording Start & Recording End.

Just to clarify... In the beginning, I elected to have Roon organise my albums by Original Release Date because, for the vast majority of my (non-classical) library, this is exactly the information that will arrange a given band's albums correctly. (I can then add the various remaster, re-release & version dates later in the album title, using a Discogs entry to precisely identify each release, should I ever need to go & find anything out about it.)

Unfortunately, when it comes to classical box sets, the original release dates of the albums are all over the place &, much as I'd like that to be the entry for Original Release Date, it can't be, because that's the date that Roon will look at for sorting, before it sees a numbered album title.

So, I have to cheat a bit, use the box set release date for Original Release Date & then add the actual release date of the album as Release Date.

Now that I know I can put the box set release date in your Original Release Time box & Roon sees it, it's happy days for that slot.

Actually, original release dates for classical & jazz albums are a bit irrelevant because labels will release anything they think will sell, so recordings from the 50s etc. might be released in the 80s & 90s just because a performer got famous or had an anniversary or whatever.

So, if I also put the box set release date in your "Date" box (expanded to take the full date, as discussed the other day) then the Release Date will disappear from Roon as a separate entry, leaving just the Original Release Date.

So far so good.

What's really important to me for classical & jazz albums are the recording dates, because they're actually telling me something useful, but they're the things I have to enter into Roon manually, because I can't establish a dead cert UD entry that Roon will see.

And they're the dates I will have to enter all over again if my database ever falls over & the back ups don't work.

2MR2PostApril 16, 2022, 17:09
Administrator

Searching the Roon forums I've found references to RECORDINGDATE, RECORDINGSTARTDATE, RECORDINGENDDATE and RECORDINGLOCATION working.

You can create these manually on the UD editing panel. If it works it's easy to create custom fields in Preferences-General-Custom Fields. There's even presets allowing their creation on the Recording submenu.

I've just tried RECORDINGDATE with an album. I set RECORDINGDATE to 1997-05-03 and it does appear on the album page as:

All tracks performed 3 May 1997, by .....

I'm far from a Roon expert but as I said it does seem that Roon imports them. You should be able to try it out. Creating custom fields is a better idea long term as they will appear in every field list and can easily be mapped to a an edit panel of your own design. You can even add the fields to the Roon edit panel on the resource page.

This should enable the storing of all the pertinent metadata in the files.

2MR2PostApril 16, 2022, 17:19
Administrator

I've created a small custom editing panel. Download:

https://2manyrobots.com/actions/RoonRecInfoCustomPanel.zip

When no files are loaded drag it to the main window. It will also create the 4 named variables for you. You will then have a custom edit panel named Roon Rec Info. The editing panel can be modified to include whatever else you'd like.

Using the imported editing panel you do not have to mess around with the UD Text editing panel and UDTIs.

SnowdogPostApril 16, 2022, 18:13
Pro

Fantastic!

I do wish there were "like" buttons on this forum! 🙂

SnowdogPostApril 17, 2022, 04:33
Pro

I think I've broken it! 😆

I dragged that last download in & a dropdown menu appeared which I kinda clicked through without really knowing what I was clicking & now those terms are appearing in various places in the preferences but I can't find anywhere to enter the data.

I think I was just expecting them to appear somewhere amongst all the boxes on the Edit Panel, but nothing has.

2MR2PostApril 17, 2022, 07:27
Administrator

Nothing is broken 🙂

The 10 edit panel buttons are presets ... like on a car radio. There are lots of edit panels including 10 custom panels. You just imported a custom panel named Roon Rec Info. Right click on any preset button and a list of edit panels will be displayed. If you click on a panel it will appear on the preset button where you activated the menu. Worst case the location you chose will be on the Hidden Edit Panels submenu.

You can drag and drop the buttons and save various configurations. See the Main Window help topic. Click on the upper right hand corner Help button when no files are loaded or do a Help>Search Yate Help.

.... also all tags are available on the All Tags edit panel. Only existing items are displayed but you can always add items from the panel's context menu.

SnowdogPostApril 17, 2022, 07:37
Pro

Haha! The relief!!

So I thought I'd saved them as "custom 1" but that one is not available to me when I right click.

Pages: 1 2 3
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.022 seconds.