Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Sync Music/iTunes rating/play count to files & then between systems?
jasonb2mr885PostApril 17, 2022, 21:05
April 18, 2022, 00:54
Normal topicSync Music/iTunes rating/play count to files & then between systems?

Hi,

So this is probably a silly use case, but I have two Macs I'd ultimately like to sync audio files between. I have that part covered, but Apple does not write ratings or play counts to file metadata, but rather stores them in a proprietary database.

If I have two Macs, A and B, could I do the following?

On A)
- Play some songs, like/dislike/star rate some songs in Apple Music
- Use Yate to sync/commit this to the music (MP3) files locally
- Use some transfer tool to sync these files to B) (In my case, rsync and git-annex)

Now, for whatever reason, I want to go work on B) and listen to music.

On B)
- Perform some magic with Yate to grab star ratings and play counts and inject these into Apple Music database
- See this information updated in Apple Music
- Proceed to use Apple Music normally
- At some point, do the reverse and sync changes back to A) in the same way

It seems like this might be possible with Yate, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

2MR2PostApril 17, 2022, 21:13
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicSync Music/iTunes rating/play count to files & then between systems?

Yes. Yate can import library only metadata from Music and save the values to files. It can also export the values from the files to Music.

It largely depends of the quality of your metadata as you will not be able to use Music's permanent IDs to sync as you're using two separate libraries. This means the Album, Artist, Title and Track metadata will have to be the same in the files as in the Music libraries.

You can try a fully unencumbered trial for two weeks. No need to buy before you try it.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.017 seconds.