Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Apply 3rd party metadata
jasonb2mr885PostMay 14, 2022, 20:18
April 18, 2022, 00:54
Normal topicApply 3rd party metadata

Hi,

I see that there are integrations with 3rd party data providers. For a decade, I've been interested in trying to add missing covers, genres, and BPM to files. I've tried MusicBrainz in the past, but it seems to suggest only the best match for a set of files, even if it isn't correct.

Is it at all realistic to use Yate to try to populate this information?

I also have some files with incorrect album names set. I've used fingerprinting in the past, but much of this is esoteric, mostly European dance or vocal trance. MusicBrainz is unhelpful here as well. I tried TuneUpMedia, which uses Gracenote, back when that was a thing with a similar lack of success. I've had some modest success with audio fingerprinting apps, but that's a brute force approach.

Do I have any options here?

Thanks!

2MR2PostMay 14, 2022, 20:51
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

I've always felt that automatically extracting correct metadata, whatever that means, is a difficult process. Discogs and MusicBrainz are great sources for data but unless what you listen to is also listened to by the people who upload content to the sources, you're not going to find what you want.

Yate does not access Gracenote as the pricing is out of our reach.

Fingerprinting has its uses but AcoustID which Yate supports targets MusicBrainz.

There is an Apple Music suite on the resources web page. Apple Music has north of 50 million tracks and the metadata is consistent. If any of your stuff is sold on the iTunes store or in the Apple Music catalog you more than likely will have some degree of success. The searches are tailored for different countries so that might help you as well. Further, the searches work best by searching for artist or albums ... so incorrect album names can often be resolved by simply searching for albums by the artist. BPM metadata is not available 🙁

jasonb2mr885PostMay 15, 2022, 14:06
April 18, 2022, 00:54

Do you know if there is some other way of determining BPM data?

Thanks!

2MR2PostMay 15, 2022, 14:43
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Yate can use AcousticBrainz to extract BPM values ... however this requires a MusicBrainz ID which is typically calculated using AcoustID fingerprinting. Unfortunately AcousticBrainz is going away.

I don't know of any third party applications that Yate can call to calculate the BPM and automate the process. If you find any ... let me know.

BeaTunes can calculate BPM and there are some online tools such as https://getsongbpm.com/tools/audio which seems to work okay. getsongbpm has an api but it requires a lookup based on title and/or artist. Their website allows you to upload files, which is not available on the api. I will have a look at the api.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.016 seconds.