Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Replaygain value
VerticalPostJuly 3, 2022, 03:52
Beginner
November 1, 2019, 04:50
Normal topicReplaygain value

Hi,

If I raise replay gain to -14 LUFS shall Sound Check Offset be -2 or?

Why can't I see any Sound Check tag under "All Tags" tab?

Any downside changing these values from -18 LUFS?

Thanks

2MR2PostJuly 3, 2022, 07:35
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Sound Check values are calculated based on stored ReplayGain values. The Sound Check offset setting can be used to change the parameters used to produce the value. The offset, if any is relative to the LUFS value used to produce the ReplayGain Track Gain and ReplayGain Track Peak items. While any reasonable LUFS value can be used as a baseline for loudness, it makes more sense if all your tracks are based on the same value. As mentioned above, Yate's default LUFS value used in the Replay Gain calculations is -18. iTunes supposedly uses -16 as its LUFS value when doing its calculations. You can leave the replay gain LUFS as -18 and specify a Sound Check offset of 2 if you wish the Sound Check settings to be based on -16.

Typically I don't mess with these values. However if your LUFS value is -14 I would think that the Sound Check offset would be -2.

The sound check values are stored as a UDTI named iTunNORM for MPEG-4 files and as Comment (iTunNORM) for other supported files. These is where Apple expects them. Hint: you can find this info via Help>Quick Reference>Tag Mapping Table

Any downside changing these values from -18 LUFS?

As I said, I don't mess with them. However, as the audio stream is not modified, you can always simply recalculate the values if you're not happy with the results.

VerticalPostJuly 3, 2022, 23:01
Beginner

Ok, I did some testing and it seems that the Music app is calculating Sound Check by it self if the option is enabled in preferences so I see no need for Yate to calculate this.

The reason I think about changing the value is I think it's very low volume at -18 LUFS.

Roon is using -14 LUFS by default and works very good, but I'm still not sure if I even wan't to go through this process it's going to take very long time and I really would only use it playing music in Kodi are you using Replaygain?

From Wiki

2MR2PostJuly 4, 2022, 09:21
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

As part of my workflow I calculate the ReplayGain settings at their default values.

I always use the album Today by Mississippi John Hurt as a test when I play with the values. Regardless as to what settings I choose, the album always plays much quieter than anything around it. Personally, I find ReplayGain makes very little difference. Just my opinion.

VerticalPostJuly 4, 2022, 09:42
Beginner

😉

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.018 seconds.