Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Sorting multi value field
chrisGnPostAugust 28, 2022, 09:10
July 16, 2022, 07:20
Normal topicSorting multi value field

Hello,
for my library I maintain the Style field more or less according to the information provided by allmusic.
It is a multi value field according a list I have created in Yate.
I created a track and album database which contains the Style Field.

Now I'm in the process of checking the values of the Style field. For this I compare the values related to the several albums of one Album Artist.

Example:
Album Artist: Black Sabbath
Album: Master of Reality
Style: Album Rock;;;British Metal;;;Hard Rock;;;Heavy Metal

Album Artist: Black Sabbath
Album: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Style: British Metal;;;Album Rock;;;Heavy Metal
--> sorting of the tags is not identical, comparison rather hard--> Hard Rock needs to be added

It would be very helpful to sort this multi value field Style to support the comparison. The sorting could be according the list (preferred) or alphabetically.

On top of that it would be really helpful to check automatically where the Album Artist is identical and the Style Tag for the several Albums are not the same. The editing needs to be done manual, because the difference in the style tag is not always wrong.

Thanks is advance!

2MR2PostAugust 28, 2022, 09:38
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

So ... you want Style to be be the same for every unique Album Artist. I can see sorting alphabetically but preserving an existing sort will be difficult as how do I know which is correct when you have multiple sorts? You also want Style to be the union of Style fields on a per Album Artist basis? Do you want to load up everything for an Album Artist or do you want this to be a batch process?

On top of that it would be really helpful to check automatically where the Album Artist is identical and the Style Tag for the several Albums are not the same. The editing needs to be done manual, because the difference in the style tag is not always wrong.

Does this mean you want to be presented with a list when there are differences?

2MR2PostAugust 28, 2022, 15:05
Administrator

It more than likely be easier to drive the action from the Album and Track databases.

chrisGnPostAugust 29, 2022, 14:21

Thanks for the quick reply. Now, after thinking more about this topic i think the automatic comparison makes no sense. Style is related to Album and not to Album Artist.

The alphabetical sorting would be helpful, but is mostly the case as far as i can tell.
The only problem is, the multi value field is a little bit hard to read.
Currently I have no idea how to improve the process of checking if the correct value is entered.

Thanks again for your effort!

chrisGnPostAugust 29, 2022, 14:22

Thanks for the quick reply. Now, after thinking more about this topic i think the automatic comparison makes no sense. Style is related to Album and not to Album Artist.

The alphabetical sorting would be helpful, but is mostly the case as far as i can tell.
The only problem is, the multi value field is a little bit hard to read.
Currently I have no idea how to improve the process of checking if the correct value is entered.

Thanks again for your effort!

2MR2PostAugust 29, 2022, 14:39
Administrator

For the built in fields which support multiple values (such as Artist) this is easy. You can select a bunch of files and from the Function button to the left of the field you can select Choose Value.

A panel will be displayed which shows the values used in each file. You can manually edit the value or hit the Rearrange button and drag and drop the fields to the order you want.

Unfortunately, when viewing a custom field you do not currently get the Rearrange button. This is an oversight on my part with custom field usage. I'm going to consider it a bug which will be fixed in v6.11 which is coming soon.

2MR2PostAugust 29, 2022, 14:44
Administrator

The same fix will get you the two sort menu items on the Yate Transformations menu which appears when you right click in the field.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.021 seconds.