Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Renaming folders
SnowdogPostSeptember 4, 2022, 07:55
Pro
March 15, 2022, 17:12
Normal topicRenaming folders

I'm sure I've been down this route & have already been told the answer, but I can't for the life of me find the relevant info, so here we go...

I gather that I cannot use the Multi Field Editor to rename the folders that my files are contained in, but Yate is super clever so maybe there's a way.

As you can see from the screenshot, I have a load of folders (selected) that need to be renamed to follow the format of the unselected ones at the top of the picture.

If I could only use the multi field editor, I could lick them into shape really easily, but the Mac's "rename" function is not sophisticated enough to make such light work of it. Particularly the hyphen followed by three numbers that differs in each one but which could easily be removed by the "remove & insert" function. The only thing left for me to do would be to go through & replace the initial with the forename in each case.

Before I set to & do them all manually, I'm wondering... What would you do?

2MR2PostSeptember 4, 2022, 10:42
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

The Multi Field Editor only works on fields and not on filenames or folder names ... although it is worth thinking about. Currently if you want to do modifications to metadata (####-#) and rename, you have to have an action which calls a rename template.

So BLeg-221 BBC 42322 - K. Sanderling

becomes:

BBC Legends 4232-2, K. Sanderling? Is this correct?

What about the stuff in parenthesis? If you need that as well, I need to know what metadata you're pulling for the comma separated info.

SnowdogPostSeptember 4, 2022, 19:05
Pro

That is correct, yes, but I'd have to add the forename & all that other stuff in parenthesis manually as it's all sourced from different places, so any action would only be concerned with the first part.

In essence:
BLeg- becomes BBC Legends
The 3 numbers would be deleted. (They would be unique to every entry, but some kind of character count thing would work.)
Then I suppose it would be "2 - " (two-space-hyphen-space) becomes "-2, " (hyphen-two-comma-space)

I would be fascinated to see what this looks like.

2MR2PostSeptember 4, 2022, 20:15
Administrator

Hmm... this is almost identical to an action I gave you named Snowdog: Sample folder rename. I've generated a new action named Snowdog: Sample folder rename - v2.0. It actually gives you a chance to manually enter the extra information.

It first looks for: BLeg-### BBC ##### - {text}
If not matched it looks for: BLeg - (this was the pattern in the older action.

We can add as many of these patterns to the action in the future as long as the patterns do not conflict in the test order.

The new action can be found at:

https://2manyrobots.com/actions/Snowdog--Sample-folder-rename---v2.zip

2MR2PostSeptember 4, 2022, 20:28
Administrator

I've updated the action to v2.1. Download it at the same link. You'll know if you have the correct one if the Action Manager displays v2.1.

The only difference is that the action will be available on the File>Rename>Actions menu.

SnowdogPostSeptember 5, 2022, 03:27
Pro

Okay, cool. So when I try to run it I get this:

SnowdogPostSeptember 5, 2022, 03:43
Pro

It's weird because I decided to have a look at the action, to see if there was anything obvious I could tweak & the action doesn't seem to say anything.

What is the variable? Where does it say what to find & what to replace, etc? I'm very confused. Am I doing something wrong?

2MR2PostSeptember 5, 2022, 06:59
Administrator

Variable 2 is set on line 31 of the action. However based on the error message I missed something. I'll have a look later this morning.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.032 seconds.