Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2
Actionhelp (Album Artist and rename files)
LappenPostOctober 14, 2016, 06:45
Beginner
November 8, 2014, 11:13
Hot topicRe: Actionhelp (Album Artist and rename files)

The "Best Guess Album Artist"-action is working great 🙂 Thank you very much.

I had a few instances of not recognizing change in album and therefore album artist was set from prior album. Trying to locate what went wrong and get back to you. Perhaps some special characters in the album name can cause this?

I have all my files tagged with YateID (track and album). Is it possible to run through my database, open all files in one album, run your script, save, rename, etc., close files, and then load the next album and so-on? Files of one album can be scattered across different folders.

Tia/Lappen

2MR2PostOctober 14, 2016, 08:55
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

I had a few instances of not recognizing change in album and therefore album artist was set from prior album. Trying to locate what went wrong and get back to you. Perhaps some special characters in the album name can cause this?

Hmm, special characters should have no effect as long as the characters are consistent in usage. If you load one or more albums, run the action, then load different albums and run the action again, there should not be any way to get old data. The process data is kept in named variables and they are automatically destroyed when the action finishes.

If the "errors" are occurring within a single action execution, then anything is possible. I would need to know what metadata is loaded so that I could see what is happening. If you find an instance where the "error" occurs, do not save the files after running the action. Download the DumpMetadata sample action from the Resources web page. Run DumpMetadata with the same files loaded and selected and email me the produced zip file. I'll be able to debug the action with your data.

2MR2PostOctober 14, 2016, 08:57
Administrator

I have all my files tagged with YateID (track and album). Is it possible to run through my database, open all files in one album, run your script, save, rename, etc., close files, and then load the next album and so-on? Files of one album can be scattered across different folders.

Anything can be done. However, as the files are scattered we would have to do things a little differently. There are two ways to process a database file. The most typical is by running some action through the Batch Processor. This method will not work as the files are scattered. The second is to drive an action completely through the database dynamically loading the files required. We can get this method to work.

Rather than build one action to do everything, it would be better to handle the Album Artist cleaning separately. Again due to the fact that the files are scattered. Once you have correct Album Artist fields a standard Batch Processor run can do whatever you'd like as each track will contain the correct metadata.

In order to do this you would need a Track database with the following fields: Album, Album Artist, Artist, Title, File Path, Label, Catalog Number, Part of a Compilation, Yate Track ID and Yate Album ID

So the action will run the Album Artist cleaning functionality on the entire database. It will then load every track in the database, one at a time, and write the changes.

It sounds like a lot of work but it's not really too bad. In order to write the action I'll need your (new) database to test (csv and plist). Actually, if the Yate Album IDs are correctly assigned to every track in an album, the action could be a lot simpler than the current one.

This all assumes that the current logic works as expected. Play with it a little more and see if you can find a case where the results are incorrect. If you can, send me the metadata dump. Once you're satisfied with the results we can go to the next step.

LappenPostOctober 14, 2016, 09:10
Beginner
November 8, 2014, 11:13

Thank you for quick reply.

So the action will run the Album Artist cleaning functionality on the entire database. It will then load every track in the database, one at a time, and write the changes.

So if I understand it correctly, it will do the album artist cleaning on the whole database, and not track by track? The thing is that track by track will result in album artist equal to artist (excl. remixer) if run track by track.

Another positivt side effect is that it will eliminate possible duplicates because of the scattering.

Will get back to you after a little more testing. What do you mean by (new) database???

Tia/Lappen

2MR2PostOctober 14, 2016, 11:24
Administrator

Not to worry, the album heuristics will be exactly the same as if the entire collection was loaded into the UI and the supplied action was run. The loading of a single track at a time is just to apply the calculated changes.

A new database is only required if the current database you maintain does not have all the required columns: Album, Album Artist, Artist, Title, File Path, Label, Catalog Number, Part of a Compilation, Yate Track ID and Yate Album ID. I don't care if there are additional columns and Part of a Compilation is optional.

Pages: 1 2
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.059 seconds.