Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Dump Metadata
jefsetaxPostJanuary 26, 2018, 06:59
January 8, 2018, 09:23
Normal topicDump Metadata

Hi,

I would like to know
1- if it's possible to export every metadata (and the album art specs if it exists) in a CSV file, with the field's name, using this action ?
https://2manyrobots.com/YateResources/docs/DumpMetadata.html

2- what I have to change if I want that the generated zip file be in the tracks folder by default ?

Moreover when I run the Dump Metadata action I only have the first propretie i.e. with

Set User Defined Text Item 'PRE-EXPORT PROPERTIES' to "Audio Container Status\k\!Audio Container Status! Bit Rate (kbits/sec)\k\!Bit Rate (kbits/sec)! Channel Mode\k\!Channel Mode! File Size (bytes)\k\!File Size (bytes)! Free Space (bytes)\k\!Free Space (bytes)! Has Video\k\!Has Video! ID3 Version\k\!ID3 Version! Leading mp3 Audio Padding\k\!Leading mp3 Audio Padding! mp3 Header\k\!mp3 Header! Sample Rate (Hz)\k\!Sample Rate (Hz)! Stream\k\!Stream! Time (ms)\k\!Time (ms)!"

I only have the Audio Container Status.

Thanks for the help.

2MR2PostJanuary 26, 2018, 08:28
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Dump Metadata

1) Nope. The DumpMetadata action does not generate csv files. It uses Yate's export format which is simply a plist file. The keys in the file are documented in the Tag Mapping Table which can be accessed off the main help page. The problem with saving ALL metadata to csv files is that there is no deterministic number of columns. There are over a hundred standard fields in Yate and a potentially infinite number of UDTIs, UD URLs, etc. It is possible that those fields can be encoded to be key-value sets. However, the file file would be extremely unwieldy. Further, there are a number of binary fields and artwork which would not map easily into a csv file. The Yate Export statement dumps these items as separate files. In my opinion dumping ALL metadata to csv files is not a great idea. Too many moving targets.

2) First off, the following properties are in the PRE-EXPORT PROPERTIES UDTI in your post: Audio Container Status, Bit Rate (kbits/sec), Channel Mode, File Size (bytes), Free Space (bytes), Has Video, ID3 Version, Leading mp3 Audio Padding, mp3 Header, Sample Rate (Hz), Stream, Time (ms). The reason other properties are not there is that what I needed for debugging information when sent the produced zip. Any other property can be added, however none of the properties are restorable as they are to a large part embedded in the audio container and not part of the metadata.

I guess that you're attempting to archive the metadata. The Dump Metadata action can easily be modified to dump ALL metadata including binary, artwork, etc) and to place the zip in the source folder. The property list can be eliminated or expanded. As I said, they are not restorable. When debugging issues we have another action which applies the unzipped Dump Metadata file to a number of dummy tracks. We use this to debug issues. The properties are informational only.

If you wish, I can produce a modified action which can be run through the Batch Processor dumping the zips to each folder. That will archive everything. In my opinion, saving the properties is meaningless but it can still be done if you want.

jefsetaxPostFebruary 23, 2018, 02:59
January 8, 2018, 09:23

In fact I had a crash disk and I had to retag my music so yes indeed I would like to archive the metadata to be able to restore the metadata faster in case of crash.
If you can produce this kind of action I would be very interested.
Thanks

2MR2PostFebruary 23, 2018, 09:11
Administrator

The Export metadata function has been rewritten in the upcoming v4 to be far more efficient. It will look at all files being exported as a group so that artwork is only exported once per set of files. The current implementation exports each file individually.

I can write an action now but it will be far more efficient under v4. (The same action will run). I'll get you two variants early next week. (I'm away until Tuesday). Variant 1 will only back up the text while Variant 2 will also back up the artwork. In fact I can add a third which will export the artwork 'out of bounds' from the export functionality so that you only get a single copy.

Regardless of which way you run it, you'll end up with a zip file in each folder. If you want the zip files placed elsewhere, let me know.

2MR2PostFebruary 26, 2018, 16:27
Administrator

I've come up with what I think is a better solution until v4 is released. I've written the action to produce a zip file called metadata.zip in each folder. The zip contains all textual metadata as produced by the Export Metadata statement (text only). The artwork has been independently dumped by the Artwork to Folder statement which guarantees at most one copy of each artwork item. If you were to restore with these files, Import Metadata would read all the textual tag information. The preserved artwork would have to be manually imported.

The v4 variant of the action will do it all with a single Export Metadata and if necessary an Import Metadata statement.

I felt this method was for the better as it eliminated duplicated artwork which could take up a lot of useless disk space.

The action contains the v4 changes....they are simply disabled.

The action is designed to be run through the Batch Processor but will also work in the UI as long as all the selected tracks are in the same folder.

The action can be found at:

https://2manyrobots.com/actions/ArchiveAllMetadata.zip

Unzip the file and do a Yate>Import Preferences on the unzipped plist file. You will then have an action named 'Archive All Metadata'

To test interactively, load some tracks in the same folder then run the action.

To execute in the Batch Processor: select the action; choose the root folder of your collection; the options are irrelevant; then hit start.

This will get all your metadata backed up.. Once v4 is released, I would suggest running it again (modified) so that it would be somewhat easier to restore if necessary.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.04 seconds.