Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2 3
Using Track Names & Numbers to generate file names
SnowdogPostMarch 15, 2022, 15:22
Pro
March 15, 2022, 17:12
Very Hot topicUsing Track Names & Numbers to generate file names

Hi all. My first post so here's a quick background...

I've been using Amvidia's "Tag Editor" for a few years now, but it doesn't show me all the "user defined" tags that I can see in Yate.

I often find that a particular tag "ALBUMARTIST2" seems to invent itself in FLAC files. I say "invent itself" because yes, it may be user defined, but I certainly didn't put it there!

What this tag seems to do is turn the desired "Album Artist" entry, let's say "BBC Legends", into a sort of combo entry like "BBC Legends/Sir John Barbirolli" which is comprised of the Album Artist I entered followed by the ALBUMARTIST2 entry (which seems to be pretty random).

This is how it then displays in Roon which messes up the sort order of things.

I can never see these other tags in Tag Editor & previously could only see it & delete it after I'd converted my lossless master files into AAC files for iTunes, at which point they became Mac compatible, & then I could use "edit tags in dbPoweramp" to see & delete all the spurious tags I didn't create & don't want.

Now I've discovered Yate, I can see all these tags straight off the bat in FLAC & clean out all the crap, which fantastic.

Which brings me to my question.

One thing I can't seem to do in Yate, but which is easy in Tag Editor, is to overwrite my file names with a new file name made from the track title & the track number.

This means that where the metadata is easy to find & update, if my file names are, say, "Track 01, Track 02, etc." I would still go into Tag Editor to do that. (I've attached screenshots to show the process in Tag Editor.)

No big deal, but I just wondered if this is somehow possible in Yate & I just can't see it?

Thanks.

2MR2PostMarch 15, 2022, 15:38
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

You can rename your files to be any combination of metadata that you'd like. See Preferences-Rename where you create, edit Rename Templates which can be used from the UI or in actions. There's quite a bit of online help for the Token Editor. There's also an additional document on the resource web site named Renaming and Restructuring Files and Folders (v4.0) in the Documentation section.

There's a Track2-Title template pre-installed for you. There are additional samples on the resource web page under Templates. A link to the resource web page can be found on the Help menu.

Rename templates can even be accessed in actions where you can use track variables to construct any rename pattern you desire.

SnowdogPostMarch 15, 2022, 15:41
Pro

Thanks!

SnowdogPostMarch 15, 2022, 16:41
Pro

Okay, so I've successfully created a test rename template. It was applied to a CD with only 5 tracks so I was able to tell it to put a zero before each digit.

This won't work with an album with, say 25 tracks.

How to I tell it to make sure each number is a double digit number? (Sorry, bear of very little brain, here.)

2MR2PostMarch 15, 2022, 16:48
Administrator

There are five different Track tokens: Track, Track Pad 2, Track Pad 3, Pad 4 and Track Smart Pad.

Track>Track
Inserts the contents of the Track field.

Track>Track Pad2
Inserts the contents of the Track field, padded if necessary, with a leading zero so that the field occupies two characters.

Track>Track Pad3
Inserts the contents of the Track field, padded if necessary, with up to two leading zeros so that the field occupies three characters.

Track>Track Pad4
Inserts the contents of the Track field, padded if necessary, with up to three leading zeros so that the field occupies four characters.

Track>Track Smart Pad
Inserts the contents of the Track field, padded if necessary, with leading zeros so that the width is consistent for the maximum number of tracks. The Track Count determines the maximum number of tracks.

SnowdogPostMarch 15, 2022, 16:52
Pro

Perfect, thanks. I knew it would be embarrassingly simple. 🙂

SnowdogPostMarch 15, 2022, 18:56
Pro

I've also just discovered it was in the very next section after I stopped reading, earlier. Apologies for that. I've read all of it, now.

2MR2PostMarch 15, 2022, 19:01
Administrator

LOL. Really its not a problem. There's a lot to read.

SnowdogPostMarch 15, 2022, 21:15
Pro

Thanks.

I've noticed there are TRACK & TRACKNUM entries in the "user defined" section. What do these do? Are they not just duplications of the existing data?

2MR2PostMarch 15, 2022, 21:40
Administrator

I assume that you're talking about FLAC files. The FLAC mappings are entirely configurable in Preferences-FLAC/OGG. By default the Track field has a default mapping of TRACKNUMBER (which seems to be the most common mapping). It is entirely possible that some other tagger used TRACK or TRACKNUM. In Yate you can set as many mappings as you want to be read and specify which one you want to write. This means that you can add TRACK and TRACKNUM as alternate read mappings. See the attached screenshot. If you do so, the text time you write the files, the tags will be removed ... or you can simply remove the tags manually.

Pages: 1 2 3
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.022 seconds.